Theories on "self-healing" Bolens weed whacker?

Robert P

TreeHouser
Have a Bolens BL-160 25cc straight shaft 2-cycle weed whacker. Ran fine when I first got it. Used it some, then didn't use it for several months. Unfortunately this was before I learned about the evils of ethanol. The fuel lines and pump bulb disintegrated. Replaced them. I put storebought non-ethanol fuel at the recommended 40:1 in it since I now knew about ethanol eating the rubber/plastic parts. However, while it would show signs of life it still didn't run right, wouldn't get up to full rpms, got to where it refused to start unless I let it sit until it cooled then would only run badly - ran worse at choke setting 3 where it's supposed to run when warmed up than it would at choke setting 2 and wouldn't idle at all. I pulled the carb and shot it and mating areas with carb cleaner, tried to run it. Same. Hit the carb multiple times with cleaner, no improvement.

I put it aside for some time. Then some months later I tried to run it again - this time it fired up fine and runs like a champ.

Any theories on what happened to cause what seems like a spontaneous healing of whatever was ailing it?

Back