“Free” firewood

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have heard about this but never seen it. This is on Craigslist Indianapolis right now. Such a deal!
Truth in advertising: I found this because I was trying to get rid of *my* junk that I advertised as scrap metal. Sort of the same thing except mine is on the curb.

That's a good point Mick, especially this time of year. The choice wood might be used up, but it still gets chilly. That would be a good tree to finish out the season.

I've done a few removals, just for the wood. Even climbed one once. If it's simple and straightforward, and I can sell the wood easily enough, I'm not totally against it.

Yeah. Once in a great while. But it was still worth my while.
Like yeah, we need the lumber. So I'll fall the tree and Rob will stage the brash for burning with the dingo and proceed to mill the tree. HO keeps the mill slash for kindling.

I've done that once.
Not for firewood, though.
A Black Locust with the most amazing burls on it.
So for fun I told the owner that if he ever wanted it felled, I'd do it for the wood.
2 years later he called me on it.
Unfortunately there was a Porsche on blocks under it, so we had to rope it all down, but a word is a word.
Selling the turnings from it made it worth it, though :D

In all seriousness, they would be robbing your yard of nutrients, like clear cutting a forest just to ship it to another country, or growing crops on farmland just to send it all off to stores. Recycling needs to be done.

I wonder how beneficial it would be to scatter legume seeds as a nitrogen building cover crop that also shades the limbs and stumps after logging to help them break down. Then, when new trees start growing they will have a boost of nitrogen from the legumes. Some clovers have very deep tap roots which can supposedly help bring minerals to the surface.

It's the successives steps for an area to go from the bare ground to the "stable" ecosystem, a beech and maple forest in this exemple.
Each ecosystem has its own sequence of species, depending on all the factors involved (ground, climate, light, water supply ...) The first ones are pioneer and transitional, preparing the area and changing the details to match the imperatives of the final ones. Then the ecosystem reaches a state somewhat stable with very few changes in the cover, plants and animals (until the next change or accident). The ground composition and its layering is one of these details.

Back