Forest Trees

Page

TreeHouser
People go on about doing big removals, and with good reason. It does require some skill, but man, big skinny trees are no joke. We took down about 12 trees today along the woods edge and one of the poplars I was in was probably a bit over 100ft. give or take. but I couldn't just drop the top from half or even three quarters 'cause the branches were all up in the neighboring trees. so I had to get pretty high up there. I geuss it realy wasn't all that bad but somthing about being spiked into eight inches of wood 90ft up and the sway of the trunk was near 10 ft off center to make you feel alive.

We have tall skinny pines like that. I HATE when I have to climb them so high, too. Luckily, that doesn't happen very often!

Around here we don't have that tall of trees but what we have might suck just as bad. It seems that all of the new homes are built in woodlots that contain nothing but ash. So we have to spike up about 50 feet or so and by they we are in wood about 3 inches in diameter. Not as freaky as you guys are talking about but it sucks majorly in a different way, especially on windy days.

When you get high enough that the tree flexes in an "S" shape, it's very disturbing.

Normal for a good portion of my climbing work. Smallest diameter I've gone with gaffs was pushing under 4 inches, though usually I can get off them below that level and change over to alt lanyards and then to the self belay system we use in the tiny wood...conifers are pretty easy that way.

It does make you feel alive :).

I have never climbed a tree that moved 10' off center with my weight. Don't believe I would climb that tree either without a better tie in point. But I am getting to be a bit of a sissy these days

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Around here we don't have that tall of trees but what we have might suck just as bad. It seems that all of the new homes are built in woodlots that contain nothing but ash. So we have to spike up about 50 feet or so and by they we are in wood about 3 inches in diameter. Not as freaky as you guys are talking about but it sucks majorly in a different way, especially on windy days.

50' is still high up when your on somthing that has a good chance of snapping. I was just in a spindly scotch pine the other day, mabye around 40' when several of the branches I was standing on broke. I fell about 3' and caught a nub in the gut. good times!

How were you managing your tie-in in that situation, Page?

I had my lanyard around the trunk going over several branches and I was standing on several branches as well. the trees were too thick with deadwood to throw a line into, and the ladder only went so high. so there I was just about to get my line around the first reachable live branch when all the branches I was standing on broke, as did the ones my lanyard was on. I geuss I didn't really fall 3' I slid. It's a learning experience.

If you're climbing high enough in the tree that whatever your lanyard is around could break out, the lanyard is doing you no good so far as life support. Consider setting an anchor lower down and self belaying.

Sounds like the parts that failed were dead...in that case you really need to secure yourself with an anchor around the trunk. Set the lanyard with a wrap or a crossover and use two lanyards alternately.

yeah, i have used a strap as a foot hold a few times, that works out pretty well. my fault for not using it.

Back