Favorite make of chainsaw?

• Thread starter fallguy1960
  • Start date
  • Replies 123
  • Views 15K
F

fallguy1960

I notice that the majority of photo's seem to show you guy's using Stihl saws. I was just wondering why the preferance for them? How do Husquvana's and Jonsrude's compare to the Stihl's:??

Most of the members here are true and real climbers. For that there really is only ONE saw, the Stihl 200t!!
On the ground, I don't think they could care less what they run!!
They all make good models, and they all make bad models, you just have to find whats what.

I went to Stihl from a Homelite and an Echo. Both of which either wouldn't start at all or wouldn't run with any power. My first Stihl was an 029. It started when I pulled the handle and ran pretty good and would idle. Now that I'm in the tree business I have a couple of 200Ts a 192T, an 046, and a 660. All of which are dependable. I actually still have a 290 but my son dropped it and cracked the gas tank and I'm thinking it's not worth fixing, as it doesn't have near the power of the 046. I've never owned a Husqvarna or a Jonsared so I can't tell you about those. They both seem to have their fans here, so they must make some good saws.

Any one that starts and runs is my favorite . I'm a collector so I have many of different colors. Most of my cutting however is done with a Stihl.

Heh heh:

2 200T's soon to be a third :/:(found one this morning in the buy and sell meet the guy on Tuesday)

361 woods mod
038 collector saw
2 046's
660 woods mod

Damn I need more saws.:(

Stihl Rules!!!!

What about your old Macs?
I have a few I use .10-10 super [57 cc's ] Sp 81 and rarely the big SP 125's .It's got to be a big piece of wood to pull that thing out.

I have a big pile of oak I've been sawing to length and splitting for what seems to be forever.That stuff gets carved up with an 038 ,048 or the 10-10 super Mac .Just depends on my mood of the day .:)

How do Husquvana's and Jonsrude's compare to the Stihl's:??

I have run all three. To me the difference is, which one has the best dealer in the area I am working.
They have little differences in the feel but all have good saws in their lines.
This is all based on 4 Cubic inch or larger saws.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the input fellas. I have a Husky 51 with a 20"Arbor pro narrow kerf bar on it now. I am kind of looking for a little bigger saw. And I thought I would get some input from guys that use them every day.

Ahh. A specific question will always get you better answers than dragging out the old "Which brand is better" debate. Most here won't play the brand wars, we leave that for the kids over on AS.

Yes indeed Brian, now we are getting somewhere!!!
If you are happy with Husky see if you can get a 372xp while they are still around. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone that has much bad to say about them, and it will pull up to a 32" bar.

My medium saw is a Stihl 440 Mag. Starts 3 rd pull every time, pulls a 28" bar when I need it to... damn good saw.

Ahh. A specific question will always get you better answers than dragging out the old "Which brand is better" debate. Most here won't play the brand wars, we leave that for the kids over on AS.

Reminds me of Jr. high and the Ford/GM/Chrysler arguments about which was faster in the quarter mile.

i have a 200t and a 338 xp for my climbers. the husky is my back up.

a 359 and a ps540 for limbing and bigger cuts the climbers cant make.

a 371xp for bucking and again bigger cuts in the tree

and a brand new ms 660 magnum for the butts and big buckn and if i need that thing in the tree, well i have it if i need it.

my next saw will be a dolmar 7900.

sharp chains are a must though, no matter what size saw your running.

i dont play favorites as you can tell but i do know there are certain brands any self respecting woodsman/tree guy would never bring to the party.

Craftsman all the way baby!!
RALMAO !!!
I have a garage full of Sears stuff that customers have given me. God luv 'em, they wanna just get rid of it & I don't say, "No thanks."
(Tossing it into the corner.)

RALMAO !!!
I have a garage full of Sears stuff that customers have given me. God luv 'em, they wanna just get rid of it & I don't say, "No thanks."
(Tossing it into the corner.)
Well now just hold on there.I've got a little 46 cc Craftsman/2800 Poulan that will flat get with it .Of course I doctored on it just a tad bit.;)

Oh,they are what they are,inexpensive but not built exactly the best.Most of them died from inactivety.

Sthil makes a good saw no doubt. The main reason they are number 1 is because they have a good dealer network. You can buy a Sthil and have a dealer that is close to you or you can pick your dealer of choice if you want to do a little driving. You won't get this option if you buy a saw that carries a different brand.

Most of the posters here are into tree cutting and pruning on a professional level. When your at this level you have to have good reliable tools. If those tools break you need parts and service, pronto. No saw , no money it is that simple. You don't have the luxury of time for mail order parts, e-bay shopping or trying to find part saws and then find time to disasemble them and then reassemble them with used parts.

Sthil fits this niche market very well. This is why they are so popular even though there may be better saws out there in a particular cc size it won't be of much use if you can't find parts or a dealer to fix it.

Five years ago I was a died in the wool Sthil groupie. But after getting into saw collecting and fixing saws on a more serious level than ever. I have changed my mind enough after some actual hands on of some other brands to say that there are better saws in other models but still rely on Sthil for my bread and butter.

olympyks for me--used to sell them--and know of their durability---but i also own a 090--animal!!! but when i get the 999 oly together--maybe that will be the hot ticket!!!!!!!!

Back