Favorite make of chainsaw?

• Thread starter fallguy1960
  • Start date
  • Replies 123
  • Views 15K
I like my rear handle 200 also.

Blink, I am not trying to sway you away from a 26 as a ground saw. It will fill that role easy but the 26 is kind of a dog saw unless they have had the mufflers opened up and had a slight porting done to the cylinders. I have three of those saws. I rebuilt one totally, splitting the case, new bearings and seals, new top end ect ect. That saw was a dissappointment. No one liked it including myself. The second one I did didn't get all new parts but got some mods done to it. That saw I like. Much more power, easier starting and running. The third one was just a radical porting experiment and still came out better than the first one and wasn't in as good a shape mechanically as the first one.

Sthil came out with the 26 as a replacement to the old 028 line. To me that was a mistake. If they had kept the power and torque of the 28 and made it lighter like the 26 is they would have had a real good saw.

well arbor works, It has compression, but loses power and stalls out. They (Local repair shops) have tried everything but the ignition module as far as I know. Rebuilt carb etc etc. Funny, they say it all fixed, I take it out in the parking lot start her up, and same issues. Repaired my Butt!

Ranger.. 200 t up in the tree or larger stihl like the 036 once I get to bigger wood. I so pretty big pines up here so you can be 30-60 feet up and need a 25 or better bar....

Last edited:
Stihl all the way!!

Can I ask this though. What do you guys prefer for in-tree use. A regular 200T, or a rear handle 200??

Up in a tree a rear handle is the way to go IMHO. Others will counter this opinion of course. The top handle version is better suited for working in a bucket.

Stihl makes some nice saws.

i own a 200t and a 192.i like the 192 better most of the time.i don't use the 200t until i start chunking out or i know i need a quick cut.other than those two and the Stihl pole saws,everything else is Husky.that is usuall what is on the trucks everywhere around here.

Stihl 090 is the only real man's saw.
I thought Russ was joking ? Our local hardware store had the only chainsaws to be found after our last big storm in July, and an 090 was purchased for a pal o' mine. He said he was pissed when I first brought it to his work site, but found it had a surprising amount of power. I guess it's considered a farm saw ??? I dunno.

Wrong saw T, you're thinking 290 or 390, the 090 was one of (if not the) biggest stock saws ever made and it hasn't been for sale new in a long while.

Wrong saw T, you're thinking 290 or 390, the 090 was one of (if not the) biggest stock saws ever made and it hasn't been for sale new in a long while.
For what it's worth ,Larry S ,also known as "Chainsaw 57" has the last one ever sold in Canada .He got it from Gyp a few years back .The thing has never had fuel in it .

I like Stihl and never went looking for any Husky's, but.... I traded a broken ATV that I had a total of $260 tied up in for a Husky66, it was new, only started once. Scared the heck out of the homeowner and he never ran it again. I run mostly 20" bars, but I have a 32" for bigger stuff. I thought it would have a hard time with it, but it'll pull it in dry ash, with a little patience.;) Then I came across the 394xp, which I paid $500 for. It was a couple of weeks old. A guy tried it on a Granberg and didn't like it, bought two 3120's. I really liked that saw, especially the suspension. It blew up in '04. Dealer wanted near $600 for top end and seals. I ordered a new piston kit from Baileys as well as seals and carb kit. Should be good to go for under $75. I currently have an 020T and an 036, both of which I like. I'll be adding a 660 to that list too. Stihl has the best service around here, and a high school friend just bought out his boss at the local Stihl shop, so I'll support him.

Dave

My 044 wears the 28" to be honest...

It also sees the 32" once in awhile...

If I "need" to use something bigger... I will pull out one of the huge, old, slow Homelites I have... they can handle bars up to 5 feet if I really needed them to... :D

Gary

I have a modified 044 with a 36" bar. I have skip & regular chain for it. It pulls it nicely...

Gawd...I just got this terrible mental image of a guy going 69 with his chainsaw.....you know that can't be right.

But Rick, I heard you take that saw to bed with you sometimes. I don't want to know why the handles are so sticky.
:boogie:

Most of my saws have heated handles so they don't stay sticky long. You're going to get me banned for no reason, you know that?

i am a Husky guy through and through but the orange climbing saws suck.Echo makes a great wheel chock.

i use the ms200 and 192 in the bucket or on the rope.none better! the 200t is like a mini 372 with a top handle.

my stihl?Husky dealer has a Stihl shop vac.

The swedish saws: Husqvana, Jonsered andPartner used to be good.
Then they all got bought up by the Electrolux Company, along with american Poulan saws.
Elektrolux makes all sorts of electric stuff. Around here they are mostly known for their wacuum cleaners.
They pretty much dumped Partner, that is only a saw for hobbyists today. And today Jonsered is simply a Husqvarna with another color.
I'm not kidding, if you visit the factory in Jönköping, you'll see engines on the assembly line being diverted to one side for Husky colors and design and the other side for Jonsered.
In my opinion, once they got bought up, they stopped competing against each other and were overtaken by Stihl.
I have owned saws of all those brands over the last 30 years, and today I run only Stihl.
Like we say around here: I want a chainsaw, not a wacuum cleaner!!!!

they leave it out all the time on the floor.guess the 372 wasn't the first time Stihl copied Husky.:lol:

i'm a Husky guy for the most part but i admit,Stihl has the dealer thing down.granted there are a few screwballs but their displays are the best in the business.

they leave it out all the time on the floor.guess the 372 wasn't the first time Stihl copied Husky.:lol:

What? Imo the 372 was a huge copy of alot of the already available features on a Stihl at the time it came out. It was to get Husky back into the market because their saws were rattling apart so badly it was ridiculous.

Oh they bounce back and forth stealing each others ideas .Always have always will .

You should get around a bunch of old timers talking about how both Stihl and Husqvarna tried to copy a Mac 10 series port design but never succeeded .

This old game has been played on motorcycles ,automobiles, chainsaws you name it .My favorite example would be the Craftsman quick release rachet .Everybody makes them now .

If you could get the torque of a Stihl ,the speed of a Husqvarna and the oiler of a big McCulloch then you would have something .

The Stihl dealers around here all suck. That's why I switched to Husky- Better dealers, better product, better pricing.

Around here the dealers gave up on Husky due to them being available, at the time, online and in the big box stores. They got sick of having to deal with the warranty and repair issues of a saw someone got at the Home Cheapo. The spring suspension on my 394XP is awesome. I haven't run anything newer than my 036, so I don't know if Stihl has improved their anti-vibe.

Back