Favorite make of chainsaw?

• Thread starter fallguy1960
  • Start date
  • Replies 123
  • Views 15K
I have my favorites, but mostly I just provide a place of refuge for homeless chainsaws, or ones having been abused by their former owners. The 242xp is making the transition nicely. :)

Hmmm Stumper,

As far as I can recall Stihl was first to the table with a handlebar that was actually large enough to be comfortable to grip. First with a side adjuster for the chain tension instead of down in the dogs, first to have a air filter cover that could be removed without tools, first to have a inboard clutch thus making changing your sprocket alot simpler of a task. Need I go on? Please correct me if I'm wrong.:P

and last but not least................

first to screw up something as simple as a fuel cap.as much as i like the ms361,i like the 036 better.

Justin, Actually I DO remember the Husky generations before the 372. I own Both a 371 and a 268. Great saws. I have no idea what you think got stolen by either company. 2 cycle engines had been around a long time.So had oil pumps, electronic ignition, antivibration, centrifigal clutches, and rim sprockets. Oh there is airfiltration..........but Husky kicked Stihl's butt in every generation so why would the steal Stihl's inferior technology...and they patently did not since Husky kept their better filtering systems.

Ahh so that's right I was thinking of the 371 which if memory serves correctly now replaced the 272? I could be wrong on that, but what I do remember was running 272's and then buying a 46. Can you say blown away by the difference. Heh Stump ever replace any of the air filter cover clips on your 371?:P Superior filtration my ass!

iknow it's smoother,the 361 has better filtration too.i still like the 036 better.it was a great saw and i didn't really notice the vibes much.

Actually Homelite had side chain tensioning on the 650 Super 30 years ago. If Stihl introduced pop off filter covers first -good for them -they needed to since you have to clean their blasted filters constantly.(And, while I love my Dolmar 7900 it needs cleaning far too often also). Stihl makes great equipment........but Husqvarna has been making superlative tools for aver 300 years adn they have served me well without that nasty whiney butt liberal tone that big Stihls have.

Contrair youngsters ,both Homelite and McCulloch had easily removable covers long before Stihl ever thought of it . Better oilers too .:P

One of the first things that I noticed when I started using Husqvarna, was that the filters stayed considerably cleaner than Stihls, at least the models I became familiar with.

Never had a 361, but my modded 036 continues to be an excellent saw for me, added on to an 034 crankcase. I wouldn't have considered any vibration problems, if I hadn't read about it. I would expect the newer saw to be smoother though, as that is the way things usually go, I believe.

Stihl makes great equipment........but Husqvarna has been making superlative tools for aver 300 years adn they have served me well without that nasty whiney butt liberal tone that big Stihls have.

Would that be the same tone that your posts in this thread have?:P

:lol:

Hmmm Stumper,

As far as I can recall Stihl was first to the table with a handlebar that was actually large enough to be comfortable to grip. First with a side adjuster for the chain tension instead of down in the dogs, first to have a air filter cover that could be removed without tools, first to have a inboard clutch thus making changing your sprocket alot simpler of a task. Need I go on? Please correct me if I'm wrong.:P

Good innovations they were...save the handlebar idea...never noticed that one....buuuuuuuuttttttt.....

....You've forgotten air injection for better filtration, springs for antivib, and quad ported transfers....

guess who copied who there? And Stihl still only has two of those on one saw, the 361.....

.(And, while I love my Dolmar 7900 it needs cleaning far too often also)

Haven't you gotten the new, much improved cover yet? Solves that problem at a cost of maybe $13. I get parts from Scott and Steve of The cutting Edge in NY....quickly. Great guys.

More wood has been put on the ground with Stihl than any other saw. That includes the finicky, fragile saw that many of you have a twisted love for. :evil:

Nice attempt at a riposte` Justin.
Of course I like Stihl products and own a few..... but I love to pick on Stihl loyalists. They are such easy targets.

Of course I like Stihl products and own a few..... but I love to pick on Stihl loyalists. They are such easy targets.
Me too .I had em all up in arms on another forum especialy when I had said I'd seen many modified saws done by other than their favorite builder that did as well or better on the block . I won't mention the forum but they damned near tossed me off of it .:lol: No sense of humor I guess .;)

Heh it's all good fun for me too. In reality run what ya brung and how a individual is capable of maintaining their saw of choice is gonna play alot larger role in performance than any difference by brand.:)

All things equal though I'll stick with my Stihls. Lol

Recently, Volvo Rents down in the valley (good repair too) dropped Husky.. I went down there to try and get a Husky fixed I was having issues with. Oiler kept giving out. Dealer replaced it few times and same chit. I was informed at the counter once I got there that they dropped Husky because the repair parts they were ordering were often defective (too high a percentage) and Husky was not honoring any returns on the defective parts. I know they all do this on some things. But it does say a lot when a Dealer and service dept (good sized one) drops them.

Don't confuse Husqvarna US with regular Husqvarna. It is not fair to Husqvarna.
Husky US is a seperate company.

Huky US has their own polecy's and rules. It is not the same as Husqvarna here, especially if you are a dealer.

Depends on the cc size of the saw what brand some of like.
All have junk ones and some good ones in each brand.

Just a friendly reminder to the owner of better filtering Husky's: that dirt is still inside the saw, it may not be in the filter, but it will be in the starter housing, flywheel, and assorted ducting.;)

Back