Favorite make of chainsaw?

• Thread starter fallguy1960
  • Start date
  • Replies 123
  • Views 15K
The swedish saws: Husqvana, Jonsered andPartner used to be good.
Then they all got bought up by the Electrolux Company, along with american Poulan saws.
Elektrolux makes all sorts of electric stuff. Around here they are mostly known for their wacuum cleaners.
They pretty much dumped Partner, that is only a saw for hobbyists today. And today Jonsered is simply a Husqvarna with another color.
I'm not kidding, if you visit the factory in Jönköping, you'll see engines on the assembly line being diverted to one side for Husky colors and design and the other side for Jonsered.
In my opinion, once they got bought up, they stopped competing against each other and were overtaken by Stihl.
I have owned saws of all those brands over the last 30 years, and today I run only Stihl.
Like we say around here: I want a chainsaw, not a wacuum cleaner!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
THANKS GUYS. I thought I would start this thread slow and let you get warmed up a little before I gave you the big stick. Stig Thanks I did not know that Husky and Jonsered were owned by the same outfit. No wonder there leaf wacuums have improved. HA HA. Ax Man your make very good point service after the sale is important.

Hello Stig!

I am chainsaw collector in Noth east Skåne.
This is correct. Husqvarna, Jonsered and Partner use much of the same parts with colour change or in best case a difftent cover.

Same parts rotate thrue many models in these brands and some more too..

Jonsereds had a diffrent style as well as Partner, but they are all the same now. Partner still has pro saws but not for Nothern Europe.

The swedish saws: Husqvana, Jonsered andPartner used to be good.
Then they all got bought up by the Electrolux Company, along with american Poulan saws.
Elektrolux makes all sorts of electric stuff. Around here they are mostly known for their wacuum cleaners.
They pretty much dumped Partner, that is only a saw for hobbyists today. And today Jonsered is simply a Husqvarna with another color.
I'm not kidding, if you visit the factory in Jönköping, you'll see engines on the assembly line being diverted to one side for Husky colors and design and the other side for Jonsered.
In my opinion, once they got bought up, they stopped competing against each other and were overtaken by Stihl.
I have owned saws of all those brands over the last 30 years, and today I run only Stihl.
Like we say around here: I want a chainsaw, not a wacuum cleaner!!!!

PNW all the way

Long bars big dawgs wrap handleson all my Stihls. Yup Gary 28" on the 044, 32" on 056 and 066, 30" on the 064, 032 only has a 20"bar tho. So I would say Stihl is my favorite brand.

They're gonna think I'm smokin' crack in Michigan when I show up with my 24", 28" 32" 36" combos.

Nothing will surprise a Michigander. It's part of our 'inner glow'.
jk

You know it gets cold there, right?

I'm from Indiana, and have been stationed in Michigan twice before. Once on the West side, and once on the East....so yeah, I've got the cold dialed in. ;)

My 044 wears the 28" to be honest...

It also sees the 32" once in awhile...

If I "need" to use something bigger... I will pull out one of the huge, old, slow Homelites I have... they can handle bars up to 5 feet if I really needed them to... :D

Gary

If I "need" to use something bigger... I will pull out one of the huge, old, slow Homelites I have... they can handle bars up to 5 feet if I really needed them to... :D

Gary
I imagine that big Homelite I have could handle 60" of bar.It's not however slow even by todays standards.It is however heavy by anybodies standards .

Nothing will surprise a Michigander. It's part of our 'inner glow'.
jk

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ND8--Vy2Cb4&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ND8--Vy2Cb4&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fh7fQz4xzW4&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fh7fQz4xzW4&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Why, ECHO of course....

Echo 4500 C/S 8000 ground saw

Stihl O9 -- Of course

Echo 750 for stumping

Echo C/S-360T 12" for general tree saw

I started working with Echo's since 1990 and they've lasted years coupled with some serious abuse. --- And a few test flights when chunking out a spar, when suddenly, it rips the saw from your hands....:O

I'm simple, 200T w/ a 14" bar and a 440 with a 20" or 28".
Still got my eyes on a 200 rear handle or a 260 Pro for a light ground saw.

Stihl 200t I would love to have back.
Resorted to 2 echo 360t for the climb with 14 bars.
They do ok... Had good luck so far, but a 200t they aint.
Husky 345 and 455 for the ground work (mostly brushing and branching once its on the ground. They do take the abuse of working in the brush where the Stihls dont. Plus cheaper to replace. I get two to three years out of the huskys in the brush, throw away and then replace.
Stihl 036 and 066 for the wood both in the tree and on the ground as needed.
We also have a service problem with the Stihls as no one here can fix the dang things. Have to take them 1 plus hours away.
Anyone wanna try fixin my 200t??? no one up here in my town can. I have yet to take it to the valley though. See what haps.

Last edited:
Cant say I am paticular about brand. Not as much as I used to be any way.
Stihl has always felt right in my hands. But I really like some of the Husqvarnas. The Stihl is the best I think for use up in the trees.

Just give me a sharp, good running saw with power

Back