Fat pin oak, tiny backyard!

Yes, I saw the tracks, didn't know what kind of machine made them. Again, nice work on that bull of a tree.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Last 2 cuts

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/taGa7kzOZK4?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/taGa7kzOZK4?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Nice job! Oh, you the one pulling the string! Love the pics of the home owner and vid. It was cool watching the plane go by in the vid.

Fine Job.

I've thought about buying the grapple, and still renting the loader. It would be a cheaper first step than buying the loader or loader and grapple. Some point down the line, it'll happen.

Hey Ben,
I assume you gutted that hinge on purpose, so that wasn't an unintentional dutchman that blew the center and left side of that hinge.. If so, good job.. if not you suck LOL.. hey, you guys asked for my two cents, so don't blame me..

Seriously though, that's A LOT of climbing and cutting.. and material to handle with a mini afterwards.. Good JOB! I don't have the patience or stamina for that kind of climbing. I can't even stand to watch a slow climber do a big nasty take down like that, and personally haven't climbed a monster tree since 2010... I did just take out a monster horizontal Norway maple limb from the saddle this week... Over 40' long and 26" at the cut. I haven't seen the video yet, but I'd guess the cut took somewhere near 40-50 seconds.. That I have the patience for!

3 days for that job ?
Wow! That's awesome.

We can't see it in the pics, what do you use as a lowering device ?
And what is the story about the hinge? I didn't understood.

edit Ok, I get the Newyork skyline thing with its buildings.

Yeah Murph of course I put a letterbox in that cut. Makes for pulling the stick over easier. Cutting from the right hand side was really hindered by a, the fence, b, the bushes. Had to use a short bar on the 441 just to finish the backcut on that side. The 36 inch bar was way short!

Marc, used the Stein RC2000 for its first outing on this job. A very well made tool from Reg. 8)

Attachments

• IMG_0273.jpg
    IMG_0273.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 14
That is one fat azzed pin oak for sure .Lot'sa work right there ,nice job .

There isn't much pin oak is good for except cribbing and firewood .Firewood it's about like splitting a piece of granite .

In additon to that the brush is a pain in the buttocks because it gets all snarled up .

That stuff is as tough as any oak but that and burr oak you just don't see much usage of .Speaking of which though I have about a three footer next to my drive way about 65 feet tall .

A pin because of it's nature will atrophy the bottom limbs when they no longer are beneficial to the tree .My lawdy those things get tough as nails dying in place .Damned things will hang on the tree forever .

I've fought those snarly rascals loading a truck with brush more than I care to .The danged things get all wound up .Scratch you like a cat and you about have to pull the load off on one piece .It's probabley about as bad trying to feed into a chipper .

I use the bone dry ash cut off scraps I have from my wood working projects for kindling .

Wonderful pics. Man, you east-coast gentlemen get some splayed-out pigs to deal with! Wicked challenge, that one. Good job.

I surely have not seen everything but in the pins I've never seen one that wasn't solid .

The big oaks ,red and white can get hollow and present a hazard but for reasons unknown to me not so the pin oaks .

Another thing a big wind can come along and blow big solid limbs right off the big oaks but those dead atrophied dead limbs on a pin will hang tight as a bulls butt in fly time .Wierd tree to say the least .

Thanks Jerry for your words. You can all understand that all neighbors surrounding this tree were all paranoid, for only being human.... The tree was very solid, but very large for its setting. If it was in a field then of course it would continue to grow, but being in such an urban setting, well, you know the score.

Back