Exercises - general conditioning

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was wondering about that, too... the liability and all. If there was padding or something, I could see it. But w/o, hmmmm...

I need to rig up a rope set up like that.

Re: padding...I realize now you mean on the floor...good point. I haven't had anyone else try the upside down thing yet (and don't encourage it at all). I watch folks when they climb the rope and will discourage any upside down stuff as best as I can.

I plane wood a lot, sometimes 6-8 hours a day. Good for upper body strength...arms, and stretching out your back. I even get payed for it, hopefully at some point.

Cycling does good for the legs. Need to work on my gut more, the weak link.

I've noticed many here writing 'payed'. The word is 'paid'. ;)

I used to climb trees for exercise, now I'm just out of shape. But I get paid well and my exercise consists of driving to the bank to make my deposits. ;)

My wife just made chocolate fudge and brought me 3 big chunks with a glass of ice cold milk. I think she's trying to fatten me up.

Correction noted, but some dictionaries recognize "Payed" as well. "Paid" would indeed be the more generally accepted usage.

I like HEINZ on my fry's

HA HA

BUT those of us that watch what we eat - STAY AWAY from Fry's

And it's the most important part, your core. If that is strong, EVERYTHING ELSE falls into place.

And you can take that to the bank. :drink:

Are you talking about working the abdominal muscles MB? I think I need to get into doing more formal workouts, especially the stomach area. Thinking it could help with mid back pains I've been getting from climbing and poor posture.

Main thinking with the running was to stay lean for climbing. Sugar is not my friend though, but I love it! Thanks for the great advice Gary, and you are the man!

jp:D

Cory asked in another thread what I did outside of treework to stay in shape...be careful what you ask!!

I've been involved in a martial art system (Bando, a system from Burma) since the mid-70's. A typical workout at the class in the 70's and 80's was 45 min. of warmups, stretching and strengthening then 1.5 hrs of MA training...drills for blows, holds, throws, agility exercises, sparring, typical MA stuff, usually 3-4x per week. As a result of some injuries back then I started doing weight training (like Burnham is now...rehab exercises). I trained for probably 10-12 years on a Total Gym at home and then started free weights...a good friend (Bando master from the 1960's) is a personal trainer...he has been a trainer all his life. I was having some nagging injuries and he set me up a good free weight program in the mid 90's...I did free weights for about 5 years, still keeping up my basic flexibility work, too.

In 1995 the Chief Instructor (Grandmaster of the Bando system, a man from Burma) started formally teaching the yoga systems that are part of bando. He started with Dhanda Yoga, a system using a staff (about 6' long) to assist with the stretches. We had been doing the "empty hand" yoga stretches for many years and some dhanda but he started focusing on the formal yoga systems as he grew older. The dhanda made a big difference in my flexibilty, it was an "oh, wow" thing, hard to believe how effective it could be.

Then about 4 years ago he started intensively teaching Longyi Yoga, a system that uses a rope (or sash if you are a monk) to help stretch. We use the rope for solo practice (standing, sitting, lying), anchored (as you saw in the video) to a pole or tree, and as a group exercise. In the group work several folks all link up together (carabiners all snapped into a 3 inch brass ring)...the dynamics involved in balancing with other people linked up together has similarities to the large balance balls you see in gyms.

Anyway, I read Pavel's "Naked Warrior" several years back (referred to me by my personal trainer friend) and started doing a fair amount of body weight exercises, concentrating on being to handle my body weight. A typical workout these days is:

basic warmups (calisthenic type exercises) 5-6 min.
Dhanda 20 min.
Longyi 45 min. to 70 min. -- involves stretching, strengthening (situps, isometrics, individual muscle isolations, selective tensioning of different muscle groups), relaxation
ham curls / quad. extensions on machine 1-2 sets
cable row/pulls 1 set (using my body wt, about 15 reps)
clouded leopard situps (hang from toes, do situps 3-5 ea)
X-up situps (hang from pull up bar and do leg raises to point above head (on video)
pole climb 2x up and down
spiderman squats on pole 4-5
one legged leg presses (body weight leg pushups from mid-thigh height)
ankle 3-way toe raises (toes straight ahead, pointed out, pointed in)
pushups
heavy bag work (the new gym owner hung a bag a few months ago, very handy to work in 5-6 minute sets during other stuff)
some MA form work as time (and crowd) permits

A typical workout takes about 2 hours...I do that about 2x per week. I also swim some as part of our Dive Team training (underwater and land search and recovery)

I train at the Chief Instructor's house once a week (Wednesday), 4 of us train about 4 hrs every Sunday morning...we have been doing the Sunday workouts for the last 3 years as we got ready for a big MA conference that we just completed. The pictures below show some of the dhanda, longyi and drills that we demonstrated as part of the conference. This is our combined groups from Columbus, OH and Atlanta when there are 8 of us on the rings or in the circle...the 4 of us on the ropes are the guys I have been training for the last 3 years.

A long answer to what I do....outside of treework.

Attachments

• DSCF1452bn.jpg
    DSCF1452bn.jpg
    637.2 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF1454bp.jpg
    DSCF1454bp.jpg
    660.7 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF1459bs.jpg
    DSCF1459bs.jpg
    611.3 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF1461bu.jpg
    DSCF1461bu.jpg
    614.2 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF1462bv.jpg
    DSCF1462bv.jpg
    620.6 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF1465by.jpg
    DSCF1465by.jpg
    698.9 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF1466bz.jpg
    DSCF1466bz.jpg
    706.8 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF1468cb.jpg
    DSCF1468cb.jpg
    696.4 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF1469cc.jpg
    DSCF1469cc.jpg
    715.9 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF1470cd.jpg
    DSCF1470cd.jpg
    651.7 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF1472cf.jpg
    DSCF1472cf.jpg
    711.9 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF1473cg.jpg
    DSCF1473cg.jpg
    686.5 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF1478cl.jpg
    DSCF1478cl.jpg
    648.1 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF1480cn.jpg
    DSCF1480cn.jpg
    582.4 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF1482cp.jpg
    DSCF1482cp.jpg
    679.1 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF1483cq.jpg
    DSCF1483cq.jpg
    514 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF1486ct.jpg
    DSCF1486ct.jpg
    659.9 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF1490cx.jpg
    DSCF1490cx.jpg
    564.3 KB · Views: 4
I've never heard of Bando in my life, cool. Imma hafta do some Googling.

So, can you kick Stig's ass? How do Karate guys stand up to Bando? I bet a nickle he can't do what you can do on a rope or bar. :evil:

You should repost that gym video, Gary. I can't believe how strong you are for as skinny as you is!

I found you at 1:15!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/--W230L_DXo?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/--W230L_DXo?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Man, I hate doing katas. That's why I like ju-jitsu - not much of that shit going on and way more on the offensive side, which I prefer.

1:15 2:00 3:17 4:05 4:28 4:40....but who's counting? ;)

I didn't like kata for a long time...early on I preferred sparring, more action oriented things. When I started thinking of kata as a library of techniques and principles that could be applied to situations that were not part of the kata (form), as a combination of words that tell a story and that can be combined to change/retell/ modify a story it started getting interesting. Working forms lets one practice movement slowly and smoothly to ingrain proper form of technique. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Proper form makes proper technique "at speed" possible...also reduces the chance of injuring ones self...many training injuries can be attributed to persons using structurally poor techniques...asking things of their body that is not sensible.

Karate vs bando? It's the man that makes the system, not the system that makes the man. Still, I started in Tae Kwan Do, about one year of TKD...I sparred with a bando guy who got my attention with two different techniques to deliver a groin kick against my beautiful TKD head kick. I realized he knew some stuff I needed to know. Bando is called the dump truck of the MA world by our Chief Instructor...not necessarily pretty, but effective.

Not since college, in '86. I took it for nearly three years and earned a 1st degree brown belt. I haven't practiced it since. I also took Karate as a teen and Judo in grammar school. I am Ninja!
kungfu.gif

haha Nice one. They do BJJ classes at the gym I train at. Maybe one day I'll go along. They do an MMA class as well but I usually just stick to the Muay Thai.

Impressive stuff Gary. My regimen consists of bodybuilding type workouts splitting body parts for example - Monday: back calves and biceps, Tuesday: chest and triceps, Wednesday: rest, Thursday: shoulders and upper legs, Friday: biceps and triceps. I've been doing arms twice a week because they are too skinny for my liking. In the first video I can't say I agree with the big boy's form on the low pulley lat rows but I can't argue with the thickness of his back.

Do your arms once a week, and hit them with intensity. Try that for sixty days. When you see how well that works, then try it on other groups. The secret isn't so much the intense workout moreso than it's about recovery.

No shit. And EAT.

Thanks for the detailed response, Gary. Cool stuff.

MB, lots of BJJ in Ultimate Fighting.

Back