Cribbing?....when to draw the line?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
that was my first choice...cept that has 72' of boom...rear mount 28 ton is 100'....same price:D

Stumpy beaver likes to take firewood? ...I'll have to remember that.

One of the crane companies around here needs to get one of those big knucklebooms (not that buying a new crane now is really going to happen), but those things can operate of slopes, etc... no need for all that cribbing.

Stumpy beaver likes to take firewood? ...I'll have to remember that.

One of the crane companies around here needs to get one of those big knucklebooms (not that buying a new crane now is really going to happen), but those things can operate of slopes, etc... no need for all that cribbing.

nah....just this time. do be trying to poach my connections:/:

Anything with a boom on a turntable needs to be leveled before use. Otherwise the strain on the turning gears is multiplied and the boom is always trying to swing 'downhill'. You have big hydraulic pistons to do the lifting but only small drive gears to do the turning.

The only thing that isn't 100% Kosher is the front set of outrigger's pads are technically bridged. I'dda added another piece to the top and made all 4 touching so there'd be no briding.

As small as the gap is it's not a biggy. 8)

I wish I could find a picture I have seen where a truck crane working in San Fran that had something like 12' of cribbing under the down rigger.

John i dont like it.
Looks like a house of cards to me.

These guys down here in Nooga hate to crib though so i dont get near the set up possibilities we could take advantage of.

The only thing that isn't 100% Kosher is the front set of outrigger's pads are technically bridged. I'dda added another piece to the top and made all 4 touching so there'd be no briding.

what do you mean? bridged?

Jerry, that sucks. Crane guys crib everything here. I was nervous at the start but we boom down over them first....no movement

the front stabilizer was just touch the cribbing....

6x6 are pretty dang strong..never seen one break. Doesnt mean it cant happen though. I d say they were maybe 6" apart tops

Nobivy, I circled in orange the bridging. As you stated no real weight was on the front one.
The only difference to how we crib is, going up we place the cribbing out closer to the edge. like the first layers in your pictures. Then the last two layers build solid. I was taught to not tee-pee build.
But all that said, it looks like something I would have worked under.

Attachments

• FooRemoval1.jpg
    FooRemoval1.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 97
the front stabilizer is to build up the cribbing under the outrigger....hardly any pressure there.

Over the years I've seen some massive loads held up by oak cribbing ,often several hundred tons .

The largest was a 4500 ton submarine in a dry dock .If things are properly cribbed I don't think there is an actual limit of how much can be held . One of the oldest rigging methods known if not the oldest .After literally thousands of years still works like a charm .

Back