Cribbing?....when to draw the line?

I've heard the 'downrigger' term before. Did you know that in some series of race cars, they have onboard downriggers to jack up the car to change tires? Cool as shit to see the car zip in for a pit stop and raise itself up before the pit crew gets to it.

I got it from a crane operator from www.burkhalter.com and I've seen it in a crane rag I get.

IMO, downrigger and stabilizer are interchangeable.

I've also heard them called an out rigger. In a grand scheme of things, I couldn't care much less.

But I do, cool. Thanks for schooling me.

I still maintain that you're the smartest fecker here. That's why I...

;)

:blush:

I meant it's a fairly non issue. It serves the same purpose as an outrigger, and from a physics stand point, it does the same thing.

Here's the 2 cranes I've used with downriggers/stabilizers:

POS 14T:
IMG_2239.jpg

70 Ton Didn't get a picture, but it's a truck crane with a single front down rigger:
IMG_2771.jpg

IMG_2765.jpg

From their website:
htc8675_max_ctwt_overall_w.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I see em on the first crane but not the second (terex) rig

I didn't get a picture showing it on the 70T, so I snagged a picture off Link Belt's site of the current 75T (same truck, upgraded specs). I added it in after I made the post.

stabilizer = downrigger

where are more crazy cribbing shots....I know they are out there...

FWIW, cribbing=dunnage.
It's obviously a regional thing which is no big deal .

Dunnage however is generally taken to mean objects related to the moving of cargo or goods .For example dunnage blocks used to secure rolls of coiled steel on trucks ,the packaging of parts used in manufacturing for shipping etc . The huge compartmentized boxes used for robotic loading are considered as dunnage . Trivia :)

The job I bailed on.......Back rt out rigger,, you can see a slight slant which kept getting worse. 1/2 inch of wiggle whenever the crane would move the boom and then stop

The job I bailed on.......Back rt out rigger,, you can see a slight slant which kept getting worse. 1/2 inch of wiggle whenever the crane would move the boom and then stop

So, what was the crane drivers take on it? I'm not second guessing, just curious if he agreed or not.

John, I agree that looked insecure and unsafe. I do wonder though....why didn't you guys shim the bottom layer of cribbing to counter the slant and then rebuild the crib?

John, I agree that looked insecure and unsafe. I do wonder though....why didn't you guys shim the bottom layer of cribbing to counter the slant and then rebuild the crib?

we tried...rebuilt it twice. Shat just kept sinking. There was a funky spot in the drive where the homeowner said it had moved over the past couple of years........after we were cribbing the shit outta it. If the ground was solid or paved/concrete....it woulda probably been ok. Most jobs here require alot of cribbing....most cases its cool

Back