Coffee Break time/ old school

Super excellent. Thanks. Here it is embedded:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jGYeEy99dbM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FWIW that's a color version of an original black and white .I think that gents' name is Hap .A legend on the west coast .If he's still among the living he's a ripe old age now .

That was strange... Watching him top out on the spar while it was swinging, I am like 'whats he doin??' I couldnt bring myself to do that, especially in his situation, giving up his protection like that.

At the end.. he climbed up on top of spar... If he fell any way other than backwards he would have likely died the way I see it. Didnt you think the whole tone of the clip was weird, like a homelite commercial and a folgers commercial combined...

It was cool, just strange.

If you haven't seen this movie, you need to. It has a cool scene where Paul climbs and tops a pine, then sits on top. GREAT flick.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KvDpiUD3lJs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I thought he just passed away in the past few years.

What a classic!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

The original had him smoking a cigarette at the top. You can see the plume of smoke if you look carefully.

Real honest old skool tree man doing his days work8)

Friend of mine in Wales starts some of his training seminars with that coffee break video...

His name was Hap Johnson.

Former champion tre/pole climber and treetopper.
That video is such a pleasure to watch, for the smoothness of his work.

RESPECT!

Great clip! I would feel a little nervous climbing on top like that too. Strange he didn't carry up a rope with him to repel down on after. Was that before that tech was used?

The original vid was longer, 15 min, and called "Spar Pole" Done up up Longview, Wa. The original film had views from several different angles and trees. That saw was a Homelite EZ. A late 60's model I'm pretty sure, because I bought a Super EZ in 72. At the time it was the lightest saw going for a climber. Then the Mac 12 came out shortly after I believe. Real piece of junk.

Hap Johnson, a legend even in his time.

I think that vid might have originally been on an old TV show called "you asked for it " .Google might find it .

I just did a quick search and could not come up with the original vid. Someone digging deeper might be able to fine it. I will say the vid did start out with Hap walking through the woods and carrying his tools to the tree, but a clear title appeared and showed "Spar Pole" It went on from there and followed him up the tree from many different angles and sequences of the top leaving the the tree the same. Followed by a list of credits and all. It must still be out there somewhere. I believe ISA even had the original video for sale back in the early times at the turn of the millennium. Wish I could help you out, Pete.

This rings a bell, https://www.masterblasterhome.com/showthread.php?12342-Coffee-Break.

SPARTREE epitomizes an important aspect of the Pacific Northwest region and portrays tree climbing on a grand scale in an era of limited equipment.

Videos are $15 US and $25 Canadian plus shipping. To get your VHS copy, contact the PNW Chapter office at 503-874-8263 or info@pnwisa.org. SPARTREE is sold for private home use only and may not be used for public performance in any manner. Enjoy the show! "

Back