Climbing rope in chipper

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LbLTPIFh1Ks" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Um, WOW! That is horrible to imagine. :\:

What caused the sudden acceleration? I couldn't tell whether it was a throttle adjustment or just taking the feed control bar out of neutral...

Probably in the feed rollers first, then the acceleration when it hits the drum/disc.
I've heard of powwo people getting lucky and having the rope cut and free.
Few years back we had a pull rope go in, it wadded up on the shaft, not the drum. Though it did get cut several times

My climbing rope went through my chipper once, it just keep cutting it.
I suspect the bigger the chipper the more likely it is to wind round the roller with nasty consequences.

Yup Ive had it happen on a drum chipper, rope gets around the shaft at the side of the drum and pulls it in at an incredible rate

My chuck and duck pulled mine in, and cut the last few feet of the rope. All that reached, initially, I guess. Good to have sharp knives.

F^%ing Groundies, Heads in &SS!

Perhaps the rope was tied to a limb for demo purposes, so first the limb chipped and then the rope made it to the knives.

The rope doesn't always cut through even with new blades because it's soft and flexible, with little to no resistance on it. Also the gap on some chippers is 1/8" which leaves plenty of rope strands left uncut. Still nothing I want to see up close ever again. We had a guy suck the winch line in a few months ago with it in free wheel. 150' of rope in a split second. It did get sliced completely a bunch of times but didn't actually cut it loose till it was out of rope.

The guy I bought my stump grinder from had this happen on a job resulting in a fatality, worker was decapitated by the rope. I make a point of mentioning extra caution required whenever we can get the chipper that close to the tree.

Bandit has a new chipper cutter bar installed at top of feed wheel just for the purpose of cutting rope. Watching the video on youtube which explaines that product can help in understanding the whole situation.

I think the second anvil also helps produce finer chips.

Back