Climbing Boot Opinions

Well, it caught me a Butchfish!
But they'll bite on anything that shines.

Chris, the reason I asked was that I just finished re-reading a book called "No man's land" by Thomas Dinesen, a Dane who joined the Canadian army in WW1 ( Because he wanted to experience war and fight what he rightly saw as the beginnings of German fascism and they were the only ones who would take him).
He spent 2 years in the trenches at Ypres and Verdun , and was avarded the Victoria cross for bravery. When the war was over, he found an abandoned Harley davidson with sidecar and rode to Kenya to visit his sister, The author Karen Blixen ( "Out of Africa"). Quite an interesting guy and a hell of a good book.
He was extremely disappointed with the way the military trained soldiers. Shoe shine, shoe shine,drill, drill, drill, march, march, march.... with more emphasis on being able to turn as one person than anything that would be useful in the trenches, such as basic wound care, cooking and even sewing.
He said that a lot of the extreme numbers of casualties among newly arrived soldiers were due to the fact that they had been taught nothing about trench warfare and had to pick it up as they went along.

So I wasn't really fishing with my first comment about how being able to shine a pair of shoes to a high gloss makes you a better soldier, simply wondering if things hadn't changed at all since WW1.

My comment about the Afghans was of course tounge in cheek, as you picked up.

Maybe the Canadian army sucks.

My time in service revolved around my actual job as a diesel mechanic. Life was about combat readiness and fixing trucks. The marching ended after boot camp pretty much. I don't know what the Canadians do to pass the time during an enlistment. Ask Jesus (Willard).....

We're no world power but I'd hardly say our military sucks....besides being small and underfunded that is. Heh, wait a minute?

I was just throwing a fictitious idea out there to explain the meaning behind the book Stig referred to. I wasn't serious or joking. Sort of like "I'm not sure"

Stig, I actually took you as being completely serious about modeling after Afghanistan and I was like "has he eaten a bad veggie today or what?! He can't be serious" I wasn't tryin to jump on you but I was like "there's no friggin way he thinks one culture could just entirely model after another in terms of military." I should have known you were being tongue in cheek. I'm stupid sometimes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey do I get anything for this being one of my first threads and being full of awesomeness?

Hey do I get anything for this being one of my first threads and being full of awesomeness?

Oh, hell yeah!!! It's the derails that turn awesome so often.

Tucker....excellent exposition on marching, teamwork, hygiene et al for our soldiers.

Just this morning I heard the commander of the Navy SEALS explaining why it was important to make your bed every day. I agree....external discipline can become internal discipline...hopefully will.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KgzLzbd-zT4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back