Climbing Boot Opinions

Gauge

TreeHouser
Hey again! I am shopping for a good pair of climbing boots. I am confused between 10" and 16" calf heights. My gut says go with 16's and get used to them because your legs will thank you later because of the gaff protection. I really want a set of Wesco's or Hoff's but I just can't swing that right now. My buddies have Georgia's and they seem like a good boot but I have been looking at the Red Dog climbers and everyone says that is a great boot. What say you?

I recommend spending the money up front for good boots, and if you plan to do any ground work or pruning, a 16" spur boot does not make either job any easier. If you're in spurs all day, then they are great.

Butch tells you right on brand, for sure. 16 inch will be heavier, and for many folks restrict muscle flex, create uncomfortable friction and attendant raw skin, and are more expensive. I bought a pair of 16 inch Wescos early in my career, hated them from the first day, and ended up paying the local boot shop to cut them back to 12 inch tops. Even those were too much, and I wore 8 inch Wescos or Whites very happily, both Vibram and caulk, for the better part of 30 years.

8 or 10 is all you need. That little bit if extra leather doesn't really make your spurs feel better.

It's all in how you have then adjusted / tweaked, to your particular dimensions.

It's amazing how many people think that high boots are the answer...

They're great for walking in Rattlesnake country!

Top end Climbing boots in euroland are based on winter mountaineering boots. The best have vibram soles and come just over the ankle. They work well with or without spikes.

Iv never climbed in 16" boots, but I honestly can't imagined why anyone would want to, especially with modern spikes and pads. Maybe with the old fashioned straight steel shanks and thin leather straps, but there is so much choice and levels of comfort and fit are such that one could wear spikes over sneakers if you so desired.

Haix-Protector-Forest-Chain.gif

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Right on! Thanks guys. Now I can start making some decisions. I will prob just grab a pair od Georgia's then and save up for some White's.

Are you looking for a tree climbing boot or a boot for spur climbing? If you need traction I would avoid the loggers. The rubber sacrifices traction for wear. Mountaineering boots tend to be lighter than loggers say with 7oz leather range.
I did the cheap yrs ago and found myself returning under warranty, fell apart. Pia

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am mainly in the spurs most times. We do more removal these days then pruning. 6-8 hours in some trees is the norm so i was looking for good support and a steel shank is a must I would think.

Scarpa fuego is the stiffest, toughest boot I've ever put on my feet. Thick nylon plate runs the length of the boot and if u lift up the insole u can see it. I'd consider it for what ur doing

Tried Wesco 16" early on all regular 12" after that. White has no steel shanks though others here say the support they have works great with spurs. Have a White fitting kit on the way to me now.

If you like to save $ and your willing to check till the right size comes up look up Bailey's "Woodland liquidators " on ebay. I posted about it in Treehouse's sales area. (Noticed they have put up other Wescos since then.)

Back