Climbing Boot Opinions

I was the last platoon on Parris Island to ever be handed jungle boots and woodland cammies. After my platoon, spit shining boots and ironing cammies was a thing of the past.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's some BS! thats all part of the "beat down" and learning process. So I guess "Irish Pennants" are gone too right?

Brushing? Not to put one method down or boost one up, but spit shining is a whole different animal. It can involve rubbing alcohol, leather dye, polish, a brush, rags, saliva, and booze.

Brushing? Not to put one method down or boost one up, but spit shining is a whole different animal. It can involve rubbing alcohol, leather dye, polish, a brush, rags, saliva, and booze.

Never having been one, I have to wonder.

How does the ability to shine a pair of boots make one a better soldier?

It doesn't. It's a matter of keeping to the highest standard of the marine corps. The marine corps strives to be a disciplined, prepared, vicious fighting force. Uniform preparation and attention to detail and excellence is a top priority in garrison. It's to instill in marines attention to detail and striving for excellence and perfection. Personal hygiene, cleanliness in living quarters, and exceptional effort to keep a presentable appearance in uniform is part of a larger goal to be a presentable, respectable, well disciplined fighting force. Keeping te bar high basically to promote a professional mentality among marines. Professionalism shows on the battlefield.

Living in a lax environment with little focus on detail and appearance is no way to represent the nations most elite fighting force. Marines don't wage wars, but they are tasked with fighting them, and arriving after years in a lax garrison environment will spell disaster on the battlefield.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
They teach cleanliness as the norm so we will always be prepared for whatever. If we don't take car of our boots then we probably don't take care of our rifle. And there are some who don't fall into this bracket the actual number was somewhere around 90% if I'm correct for the one's who in fact do fall into this bracket. They also hammered drill into us every day, "Everyone march like this! At the same time! Move together!" what this does is keep us all in a tight knit team when the stuff hits the fan so we can do what we need to do without even thinking about it. Believe it or not, but keeping those boots shiny leads to keeping that rifle oiled and in tip top shape. Just my 2 cents.

It doesn't. It's a matter of keeping to the highest standard of the marine corps. The marine corps strives to be a disciplined, prepared, vicious fighting force. Uniform preparation and attention to detail and excellence is a top priority in garrison. It's to instill in marines attention to detail and striving for excellence and perfection. Personal hygiene, cleanliness in living quarters, and exceptional effort to keep a presentable appearance in uniform is part of a larger goal to be a presentable, respectable, well disciplined fighting force. Keeping te bar high basically to promote a professional mentality among marines. Professionalism shows on the battlefield.

Living in a lax environment with little focus on detail and appearance is no way to represent the nations most elite fighting force. Marines don't wage wars, but they are tasked with fighting them, and arriving after years in a lax garrison environment will spell disaster on the battlefield.

Yessir.

dood!
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0jPLXF-lWOQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

also, what about these for summer?
image_66004.jpg

Those r jump boots we wore with our class A's. If your in a airbourne unit in the army they required them. Never wore the shoes with class A's till I left the 101st

Showed up at my infantry unit day one all clean shaved n starched creesed bdu's and got smoked for 4 hrs cause some shit had showed up right after me with bdu's that looked like he pulled them out a duffle bag.... haha them were the days. Currahee.

If cleanliness and marching in step is so important to winning battles, how have the Afghan managed to pretty much beat everybody who invaded them for the last 2 centuries?

If cleanliness and marching in step is so important to winning battles, how have the Afghan managed to pretty much beat everybody who invaded them for the last 2 centuries?

Because they are double hard bastards who live in the arse end of Hell.

In my case it got me to Sergeant by 20.... AND a good pay raise!

As for polishing boots, Segeant's didn't have no time for that, quick cleaning with shoe polish.... break out the spray on hi-gloss parade shineeeeeee!

No, there was a small shoe repair store in my town, they got it in for me, I always had a nice supply of Parade shine.... it was "sit polish boots or go out drinking....hmmmmm" ;)

Never tried mop'n'glow.

Stig, take a look around the globe. Take a look at all the cultures. Look at all the mind frames that go with different cultures. Then get back to me. You'll have answered your own question by that point about why some militaries operate in a regimented manor, and some are more lax. About marching in step, the gain to that is creating teamwork. Close order drill and marching is a team activity.

With all due respect, I seem to think you're fishing to get the beer drinkin gun totin 'Mericans all riled up and tripping over themselves yelling "cause we win all da wars and shit!!!" I believe with an IQ as sky high as yours is, you know well why cleanliness and hygiene is so important in a military. Squalor and sickness go hand in hand. Any country above 3rd world pays to mend and heal sick troops. Sick=$$$$.

Why such a regimented environment? You think shit would go smooth with 200,000 Americans doing as they please with government property? Or adhering to Geneva convention laws in combat? Or doing as their told in a combat environment? It's all part of a larger picture of instilling discipline, minimizing wasted resources, and creating a synchronized team of a few hundred thousand. American troops arent itching to die. Afghan culture and American culture are two different animals. To toss out a question like that one was just fishing to see who would scream 'merica the loudest. We all know that what works for one culture would be the demise of another.

Back