Take your time up there, folks. Local climber fell.

SeanKroll

Treehouser
I got word the other day from a local tree guy that his good buddy, the climber on their team, dropped 60', crushed ankles, emergency back surgery, and in recovery at Harborview Trauma in Seattle. Happened spitting distance from my house...I'm on 49th just off the main peninsula road, this happened on 51st, which is 1/4-1/2 mile long.

My best guess is that it was preventable.

Damn!

Got to pay attention up there.

Always double check everything before making a cut or making a move.

Poor fellow. Hope he heals up alright. Lucky he didn't die.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Basic gold right there.

I often say it's not rocket surgery up there, it's just a question of not doing something stupid.

I try to focus on what I will do, instead of what not to do. Same with instruction, and expressing how I think or feel.

Always be intentional with all actions.

"Remember" instead of "don't forget".

"Be sure my actions will keep everyone safe" instead of "don't get hurt".

"Look, listen, feel" with every life-support connection, everytime.

60 feet is way too far to fall without suffering truly serious consequences. Hope he makes it back in one piece.

Sorry to hear. Hope for a full recovery and something learned for the rest of us.

I watched a guy fall almost that far once on a job years ago while working for a different company. He ran out of fuel in the bucket and didn’t want to wait. So he tied off to the bucket with his climb line. Never dressed his knot. Jumped out and fell straight to the ground. Almost landed on a guy bucking wood. At least he yelled headache on the way down ! No broken bones but he was still f’d up for awhile.

So while I was thinking about this thread Thursday, I promptly untied myself about 25 or so feet up. DOH! Had good placement and was advancing my line, so three points of contact. If I'd gaffed out though, there were some bolders at the base of the tree. Mind on the work, not in the clouds. Aint done that in forever.

One bad decision and it’s over.
A climber will make dozens or hundreds of these decisions in a day and you gotta score 100% every time, or shit gets damaged and people get hurt or killed.

Near misses are a weird feeling, eh? Like it’s terrifying but a big relief too.

Back