Christmas Stuff and Ultimate Fighting.

kevin bingham

TreeHouser
Had a wonderful Christmas party last night with the inlaws. Excessive food, good conversation. Good beer. Christmas carols played in the background. There was some nutmeg. Kids got presents from a santa. Full arsenal of nerd guns. Amazing aparartuses that are awesome! So all the kids are running around killing eachother. In the background on the 60 inch tv. The Cowboys are playing the jets. On replay over and over is the receiver for the Jets twisting his knee over again. Nerf bullets are flying everywhere, somehowafter the game the channel ends up on UFC. Away in the Manger plays during the replays of a man's jaw getting liquidated

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It was just interesting how on one hand it was peaceful and the otherhand almost incredibly violent.

The UfC stuff is still a bit shocking to me. I grew up boxing even. But the UFC is a whole different level. It seems pretty normalized these days Noone at the party even seemed to notice. The grama was there cooing at the babies. And these guys are beating eachother literally covered in blood in a 60 inch screen. Then there are the ring girls.

I have never been able to watch UFC. I know they are athletes and have a great amount of skill but the whole spectacle is too violent for me. I dont even watch war movies anymore, well, sometimes an old one with John Wayne, they seem a bit more gentle. I have watched Saving Private Ryan once.

I see enough blood in my ambulance and fire gig.

Yea the whole UFC thing doesn't sit that comfortably with me either - I'm fine with consenting athletes engaging in full contact martial arts but not so fine with the hype and marketing that has made it mainstream and desensitized sections of the community to violence imo.

Gladiators have been around for a long time.nothing new

Violence with some hot women strutting around makes for good ratings.......it's about money, period

Now the nerf thing.....

Coming from a household which is armed with many " assault style nerf weapons" I do not support a ban on high capacity mags

Furthermore they will have to pry them from our cold dead hands!

My wife disagrees.........

Hmm, this got its own thread? I was inspired to write it by the islam religion of peace thread. That thread made me concious of how central violence is in our own culture.
The Nerf guns are so amazing. I wish they were around when I was a kid. The Nerf bow and arrow was pretty clever too.

It was just interesting how on one hand it was peaceful and the otherhand almost incredibly violent.

When adults accept this as "OK" , they are sending a message. How is the world suppose to change if no one will take the first step?
The world has always been a stage for extremes. Society has a way of taking the normal and making it abnormal.

Is your culture a strictly Christian culture Kevin? I would guess not. More like American Culture?

Times have sure changed in the brief period since I was a kid. About the most violent thing I had seen was "Frogger" on Atari, and that was at a friend's house. I heard tons of swearing as a kid, but it was not on the TV!

I think it is a more violent culture.

I do have a question for the older members though,

What was the coverage of the Vietnam war like? Was it more or less graphic/violent than what we get today out of the Middle East?

From what I hear, the devastation left behind in the Middle East is astounding, but we are told that we are helping these people.

I'm from a Christian culture. Went to church as a kid, chistmas a bif deal. . My in laws are Also church going as kids Americans maybe a bit more mainstream. . I didn't grow up with a TV in the house. So when I'm in a house with a 60 inch TV I'm sucked in and can't fight my way out. I was really one of the few actually watching it. Everyone else can seem to go on like it's not even there. And honestly, I love watching football, and the fighting, and guns. I used to love to fight, until we grew up and it started to really hurt. I used to spend days on end making weaponry and projectiles. Anyway, my feeling is that religion doesn't have a whole lot to bear on our fascination with violence.

I had an inspiration actually to be a Nerf gun designer and leave the tree climbing aparartuses. I think I have a few good ideas for some cool ones.

Nope, we were probably hitting each other over the head long before someone came up with the bright idea of gods.

I absolutely hate when I visit someone and they have the TV running in the background.
Trying to have a conversation with somebode who has ½ an eye on the screen is so frustrating.

UFC doesn't interest mr much. Too many rules.

My observation is that kids are naturally violent to some degree. Non-violence is a self control that must be learned in my opinion. Although I think empathy and compassion are also inherent. Interesting thread. Learning violent ways without knowing the consequences is not a good thing in my opinion. Personally toy guns drive me nuts, there's nothing that breaks my heart more than when a little guy comes up "bang bang you're dead"

I haven't had broadcasted television in my home for atleast 12 years. Probably closer to 15. We have Netflix now but I rarely watch it. One TV in its own viewing room in the basement and that's it, nowhere near the living room or dining area. When people are over to visit, we visit, not stare at a screen.

Now the interwebs, that's a different thread altogether.

Back