Chuck and Duck

Too much talking. Just go out at ~2am, and put the tree in the ground. Might take a couple neighbors til one decides to keep it, but I think most people would think "WTF?! Where'd that come from?! Looks interesting. Let's see what it turns into" :^D

I didn't get mine fine tuned until i had it for awhile, yes it would whip you senseless if you let it. After shimming the anvil up it eats much slower taking smaller bites and chips, so it's like a really fast feed roller one now, much nicer to work with :D. This also increases its capacity for longer branches since it doesn't load the machine as heavily, i bet shimming the anvil til it won't feed fast enough to kill the engine ever would be ideal if it would still pull them in. It's still pretty fast, this was less than an hour of chipping (more like 30 min if i remember), my brother and i hand feeding, basically as fast as you can throw them in there and it's gone. I'm sure that's 3 min with some guys chippers but that's not too bad at all for debulking brush for me, that's the brush from 4 smaller conifers in the truck there, really need to build my bed so i have a better box for the truck.

Screenshot_20221011_000750_Photos.jpg

Also how you feed them matters, without a feedwheel you have to prep it more. A good trick on feeding cnds is to carry your handsaw on your leg, if a branch won't go in you can cut the branch a bit on the outside which allows it to fold and go in, the handsaw is quicker than a chainsaw usually since you don't move to get it and usual a couple of swipes is enough to fold it. Chuck and ducks are usually either 12" or 16", i have a 12 so getting it to fit in the chute is the bottleneck :/: I've found longer limbs will go fine if you walk down the limb and nick most of the offending branches that you think will jam it, then it'll usually suck down the whole thing no problem. I'm sure a machine feeding would eliminate some of the prepping, but i don't have that luxury yet.

Your throat is smaller than my machine's.

Do you adjust engine speed for what and how, if ever by a machine, you're feeding?

I've tried a lower throttle a bit, but would have problems with the chute clogging because it doesn't have a blower (i should maybe look into adding one). Mines got an air cooled idi straight 4 diesel from the 80s(vm motori, don't see those everyday in these parts), and really kinda likes to breathe so i run it a bit shy of wide open pretty much all the time, a diesel likes to be pushed and has slower rpms anyways, it's probably around 2000 to 2500 rpms if i had to guess, my portable tach broke so i dunno for sure. On really short stuff i may turn down, but my smaller drum just doesn't have the inertia that your bigger one does, a 16 would be really nice but it's what i got and it does well if you stick to brush and do the 5" up as logs. We've fed some really long ones in and it does great now, the raised anvil to tame it worked beautifully, the limbs are now gently pulled away rather than beating you, i call that a win. I'll have to do a video of it, when I'm chipping I'm ideally shoving it in so fast and easily that I'm actually waiting a couple of seconds on the engine a bit to get back up to speed after each limb. With everything ready to go in so you just grab and walk it in hand feeding goes smoothly and surprisingly quick, often beating our estimates of how long it took.

I use an arbor trolley for brush and I've found that if it fits in the trolley it'll chip nicely, and since I'm trimming to fit I'll prep them as i go with nicks to help fold it. I'll fill the area by the chipper in staged brush by tipping the loads from the trolley on top of the last trip so it's stacked tight, and then when area is full I'll chip, and shut down once it's gone to load the area up again. Doing this ensures it's only running when I'm chipping, needless to say i don't burn much fuel chipping at all even at my higher throttle since the only time it's on is if it's chipping. I plan to use a front pto on it to power winches on the crane, and i was planning on running that at idle since that's a very light load compared to chipping, sizing pulleys to get the rpms needed. I was even playing with the idea of building a grapple jib for the crane that's on it, cable driven, it's still on the drawing board so you know how bad that looks :lol: That would be an awesome finishing touch to a nautical themed chipper winch, giving me a full on baby swing yarder running wire rope and interlocking drums (i think i got the parts lined up :)), grapple to feed and handle the larger pieces that i can now forward, and loading the logs on a trailer parked next to it.

Hand feeding is mostly what I've done with it, had a customer feeding it for a bit with a mini ex which worked great but he correctly determined that chucking it all on the burn pile was far quicker lol, but it worked well. My friend who got me started in trees has a small 9" disk that'll he would use when it was needed but then ran wayyyyyy bigger and didn't even bother chipping at all. He had a massive rolloff truck and rolled with a tracked lift and excavators with grapple saws, no messing around at all, probably one of the hardest working guys I've ever met and really knows his stuff. Needless to say i saw right from the start that this chipper i have now will be perfect for my needs, and if/when i ever grow the business I'll be going to a non chipping operation rather than a bigger chipper because of how easy and fast that you can move and process material, a large machine just cramming the works in a box as fast as it possibly can is pretty hard to beat. Until then my little chipper will be ideal, already paid for itself long ago and now with some scrap pipe welded to it should really be helpful! :lol:

Back