chipper winches

interesting ideas, im getting ready to add 1 to my 93 bb 250 and was looking 4 the cheaP fix..wheres the spot to buy the hyd winches from, im all plumbed up to quick connects and ready to hook up, just need a lil fab work and a winch

Warn, Ramsey, any big name makes hydro. winches. The Ramsey was about $1k if I remember right. The reason why we didn't use one, is they required 12-15GPM to operate at full speed. My chipper has 7 GPM, so without changing the pump, the critter above was born.

You can always build one like Willie did.

Sweet looking set up there mate. Like Burnham said, make sure the rope doesn't get fed into that infeed.......probable blown bearings if that happens! :|:

heres how my 93 bb250 was set up
attachment.php

and now my morbark
attachment.php

That's a snazzy idea you had with that there shackle!

FWIW I didn't use the bollard when using the winch.

willie
what brand winch did you use on the bb 250
you still have the folding tray table..wow mines welded down, and looks like its seen every bit of the 8500 hrs on it
still eats logs like a champ

Willies is custom built.

i see that, was just wondering..cause i noticed it runs rope thru it, and was curious as to what brand winch he used...im not for researchin much.... i ask who used what and the pros / cons of what they used and why....source and price.....
then i hunt down removals..slaughter them for what i have to
and next thing ya know i have what i want.

sure it takes a few to pull it off besides the normall $ outflow, but it happens..

I want to put one together in the next 3 months

btw thanks for the tip on the valve..detent was shot..new one on the way

you can run rope through any winch, just make sure theres no burs from cable and some fairleads wont work with rope

Found a pic of Woodsman OEM winch, kinda a crazy contraption. They mount the winch on top of the drum housing, then it looks like most of the down pressure is generated onto the top of the chute. Makes me feel good about mine/our design.

Attachments

• woodsman winch.JPG
    woodsman winch.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 28
That is the old style, when woodsman had the lift cylinder mounted on top of the infeed. New winches look like a regular bandit contraption. All welded together one arm and winch, bolted right on top of the infeed like Brendon's.

Really?

I talked to Bob Engler, he wasn't to sure about mounting a winch on top of the infeed. He said "I know how you tree guys are, you'll rip the chipper in 2 with a winch".

Maybe he came back to reality about thats not happening.

That is how all the latest ones I've looked at were built.

The Carlton Guys told me that there was no way in hell you were tearing their winch mount off the top of the infeed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here you go Brendon, pics as promised. As I said it aint pretty but it only took me 3 hours with mig and plasma cutter and used random steel found laying around the shop. I wanted the winch to be remolvable so I can put it on trucks etc. It is obviously electric. I just sold a job where it will be great as we are working on such a steep bank that the loaders wouldnt work. This is the first job in a long time that I feel like I need a winch but as always once I start using it I wont be able to do without, in which case Ill rig a hydraulic one more permanantly......

Attachments

• cw.jpg
    cw.jpg
    411 KB · Views: 18
  • cw2.jpg
    cw2.jpg
    405.8 KB · Views: 20
The 2 1x1s strengthen the front fairlead plate and also support the winch when you are installing it, that sucker is heavy. I was a little worried about the downward force being exerted on the feed shoot as it wasnt designed for a winch and I have already had to weld it up a bunch of times from loading it with loader so I put 2 jacks at the back to take the force straight to the ground and not stress the chipper. As I said ugly but FREE.

Attachments

• cw1.jpg
    cw1.jpg
    697.7 KB · Views: 18
Gifted tinkerer...as I said in another thread.
:D

Looks like a workable unit. Keep that cable out of the chipper :).

Very cool. I was looking at mine all day getting aggravated it's not plumbed.

I could of used it today while the mini excavator was humping logs.

So I'm sitting here thinking.

I said I thought it would be nice to have a winch that stored rope like normal. Instead of redesigning, something hit me.

Would rope wrap on a drum in a vertical position, as opposed to a horizontal position you see in 100% of winches? All I would have to do is unbolt the aluminum bollard, and make a spool where rope can wind up on.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• winch mount 003edit.JPG
    winch mount 003edit.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 16
cool pc. i tried electric but it was so slow id have to drag huge piles to make it worth while. also i opted not to put jacks so i could use the chipper suspension to tell how hard i was pulling. if it starts to squat i back off and find out whats hung up.
brendan, im with burnham on that. maybe look at tipping your winch and then replace the drum!

I dont see that putting the drum verticaly should pose any problems. Im sure I could turn my electric winch on its side and it would work fine. The main thing is having your fairlead far enough away from the drum . The only difference in the 2 setups would be gravity on the cable/rope which I would consider negligable compared to the 2000lbs load....... Just thinking out load here.....

Brendon just looked at your picture again and it occured to me that under a no load situation then the gravity on the cable could be a factor in making it spool at one end and if you extend the capstan to give room to wind cable you will increase the leverage on it so might want to support the other end also. You could go my rout and build it and see what breaks:D

Back