chipper winches

that is exactly the same method electricians use to pull feeder cables,
(multiple wraps to add torque) on whats called a cable tugger, and bolted to the floor at the pulling location.It is electrically driven, and extremely powerful. how much power you capable of putting on it with hydraulics?

QD fittings on the chipper. It'll live on the chipper, but when and if I ever need it, I can swap it to the mini with 2 pins and 2 QD fittings.

might not be a bad idea to put a ball valve in with your QD's, some times they seep.
i was wondering what the shackel was for, you going to use that and a fair lead?

That's what it came with for a fairlead, actually worked fairly well since most pulls were reasonably inline. He's going to be using a roller fairlead.

There will be a selector valve that will send the power to either the lift/infeed or the winch. That would also serve to keep the QD's from being able to leak.

Nice build Brendon. I am glad you have taken that winch and made it dual purpose, You are the first person I know of to do so, Hats off! Now when you get real old like me and you get your 1st bucket Trk you can adapt it to that also. That winch will give you many years of service, plus its famous.

Shipping you that bollard tomorrow.

Attachments

• CVR_TCI_Mag_3-07.jpg
    CVR_TCI_Mag_3-07.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 114
I'll prob just leave the shackle there, doesn't interfere with anything. I found an ATV roller fair lead that is nice and compact, instead of putting a monster full size fair lead on there.

Thanks Dave, hopefully it works out in the long run!

This week it might be plumbed. Got the bollard welded on, fair lead, quick paint, mounted all on a piece of rubber then to the chute with grade 8's.

Attachments

• 12-1-08 004.jpg
    12-1-08 004.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 12
Tis probably the first. :D

The only way the winch "works" is if you keep slight tension on the rope. When I had it on the mini I dragged an 8' oak log with so little tension I put the rope in my teethe and walked backwards.

It's one of a kind fo sho.

That does look extremely nice, Brendon.

Just make damn sure that rope doesn't get snagged and pulled into the chipper.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
hey Brendon, looks good. One problem that I see is if you are going to try to run it as pictured the rope feeding in is below the rope going out so is going to cross over your wraps and frig up. Simple fix just weld a pig-tail on 6" higher and you will be rockin.......

OK just looked at it again and realized the rope I was talking about is the one that you pull so it might not be a problem but I still think you could put a pigtail on the top of the bollard leg and not have them cross. Might be a non issue but if you are pulling something that wont move you will pull the stretch out of your rope , when you release the stretch will pull the rope back and maybe it will F up???? Easy to make pigtail just weld end of 1/2 rod onto say 1.5" pipe at 90deg. and heat it cherry bend it around pipe and then cut it off. Hope that helps

Bad groundie ... Bad groundie... Shame on you !.. LOL
But boss....
Can we just hear this conversation as we are about 40 plus feet up? LOL
Note: Left out the expletives due to the boys in my room watching me type ;)

Thanks guys.

I will be the ONLY operator of this winch, I had that in mind from the start. The margin of error is to great to let someone green operate it.

Paul- I understand what you're saying. When I had it on the mini, your explanation happend when I DIDN'T have it running through the bollard as shown. That's one of the reasons why I decided to get a bollard for this also. It keeps the angle "just right" to keep it from wrapping around itself. It is something that I will keep my eye on though.

Steve- I've seen those pictures, ouch. I almost beat my brother senseless when I was up 60' in an Ash, as I watched orange stable braid shooting out of the chipper chute, while he stood there clueless. This was around the same time your chipper got trashed. Luckily it cut instead of wrapped, chipper probably had 10 hrs on it.

interesting ideas, im getting ready to add 1 to my 93 bb 250 and was looking 4 the cheaP fix..wheres the spot to buy the hyd winches from, im all plumbed up to quick connects and ready to hook up, just need a lil fab work and a winch

Back