chip box project

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice job, it's always nice to get a big DONE stamp on a project, but there's always another waiting!

no doubt but its not done. im going to change the hitch as i dont like how its setup but i can do that whenever

well got the signs mounted then noticed they used the wrong yellow:dur: guess i better go touch base with them. i hate to do it cause they are so nice but i dropped 900 bucks here

Attachments

• johnson doug fir 003.jpg
    johnson doug fir 003.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 16
  • johnson doug fir 002.jpg
    johnson doug fir 002.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 17
  • johnson doug fir 001.jpg
    johnson doug fir 001.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 17
Perhaps you shoulda called before you mounted them, or before you walked out the door?

I can see why you don't like the receiver hitch.

didnt notice till they were up:( they should be able to use the same aluminum sheet and just toss the vinal.
fixed that hitch tonight if you couldnt tell:)

cut out all the other hulabaloo and welded in a large channel with a new bolt on pintle hook. cant see much and its not done as theres some clean up and i need rings for the chains etc

Attachments

• hitch 001.jpg
    hitch 001.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 11
Oh, so it wasn't fixed in the last string of pics you posted?

I like the looks of that setup alot more than the square tube hanging way down.

i was in the process of cutting that stuff off in those earlier pics. notice the bent white bar? the guys forgot to pull the hitch before dumping which was a lousy set up that i planned to change from the get go. the hitch stuck out to far, was to low and didnt seem structurally sound

Ha yeah I noticed you cut some pieces off, but when you said you had it fixed in those pictures I was a bit confuzed.

I wondered how taking metal out of an already bad design constituted fixing it, but I wasn't going to say anything if you considered it fixed. :lol:

Wagnaw, what's the GVWR on that truck?

I think his was 11-something, although he said it was registered in the 20-some thing's. Def. overloaded, but whatever.

I was on the scale with my truck monday, weighed in around 9K with gear. Technically that leaves me with only 7yd chip capacity. I prob run around 1500lb overweight.

Different states have different rules regarding weight limits . The rule of thumb in Ohio was around 750 lbs per inch of rubber width ,more or less disregarding axle limitations . I think the max gross without a permit is 80 thou .Of course you would never even come close to that hauling chips on a ton and half truck .

The limits in Mich are far higher and believe me the roads show it too .They have potholes big enough to swallow a Volkswagon . Indiana just has bad roads period .

Wagnaw, what's the GVWR on that truck?

Honestly...

I'm not sure. The truck was originally just a flat bed with a third wheel, but when the guy I bought it from put the dump on it, the springs, shocks, etc... were beefed up. It rides pretty good with loads in it, and the truck, unloaded, no chipper, weighs 16K (supposedly). Next time I have the chance, I'm taking it by the CAT scales though. I have it tagged way high just in case.

Well it's tagged for 26k. So, say my truck is 12k... the chipper IS 7500. That's about 19500... With a full load of chips and the chipper the truck makes it fine around here. Though, if I have a long way to drive, I won't pack the top of that box. ...it does get a little top heavy when the chips are packing in the top corners.

I would believe a GVWR of about 16K. I used to have an old 1978 F350 and GVWR on that truck was about 11K I think. They have beefed them up in the last 20 years though.

It would get a bit hairy hauling more than about 18K in that truck. It'll carry it but the handling and braking would be marginal with that much weight.

Andrew, open your driver door, it'll say on the tag. From what I remember when I looked, the combined weight of your truck and load was 11 something.

Yeah. It says the ORIGINAL info on the inside, but it's not correct anymore. The braking, etc... is my big worry about it. I take it REALLY slow and try to let the tranny do the work when I have a full load.

I wonder if I could get air brakes put on an F350 :/:

... I love air brakes.

If it's an F350, the GVW should be 11,000, but may be 12,000. The earlier "new" style F350's are 12,500, and I believe my friends '08 is 13,500. That truck should weigh between 9,000, and 9,500. Why is it registered so high? Do they make you register the truck for the Gross Combined Weight of the truck and any towed equipment? Here, you would be wasting money, as it wouldn't allow you to haul anymore, and you have to pay per 1k of weight for the trailer registration as well.

Back