Changing climbing style after Back injury

hmm

Such an innocent...
My question for the moment.

If you have had a back injury, what are some of the items you have had to change when you climb?

I know everyone is different and so are injuries and how our body's heal.

I have been diagnosed with degenerative disc disease in L3, L4, L5 aka the lower back. right now I am not sure what this really means I have the next DR next week. I know that there will be some changes in my life, MIGHT be nothing more then sitting a different way or building up my back muscles.

BUT until I am told differently, I am just thinking of adding an ascender to make my climbing a little easier.

So, if you have had back issues, what have you had to do differently when you climb?

thanks

Check out Jerry's vid with the rope walker system for Ddrt its really easy to do and should help you getting into trees.

Ive got lower back issues also but climbing never aggrivates it, I always get hurt on the ground (lifting)

Same here, it's inflamed right now from hefting big mulberry rounds. Lying down or sitting is when it hurts the most, damn hard to get to sleep without hitting the pipe a few times.

It doesn't bother me climbing though I can imagine how it would. I don't notice pain very much when I'm up a tree... just when i get down.

damn hard to get to sleep without hitting the pipe a few times.

Uh, you might want to re-think that smoking crack is a good remedy for back pain.

Just a thought, something to consider

Never smoked crack before... but a little indica just before bedtime makes me sleep like a baby.

I play a little Scrabble on my phone and that helps me nod right off but I guess I'm kind of wild.

I play a little Scrabble on my phone and that helps me nod right off but I guess I'm kind of wild.

That's pretty out there Darin, you should be careful.

Somehow I don't think my playing Go on the iPhone would help with the back pain very much though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
OK - so i need to get a pipe and a cell phone with scrabble and a get out of jail card to get me up a tree easier?

GEE that got off track real quick

Hmm,

Any of the frog walker systems would be easier on your back, whether it be the system Gerry uses on the doubled rope or one of the many single rope frog walker systems. They are much more body friendly.

Dave

I assume he meant marijuana.
gosh, I thought he tapped a tune on his plumbing while on the throne!

nowe how many ways can THAT be misinterpreted?

indica far better than sativa for slumber...I hear...:|:

o yea back pain--i have a saddle with a really wide back support that eases any lumbar issues--i even wear it on the ground as a back brace.

re ascension styles, for the first 16 or 32 feet, the most back-friendly system is....

drum roll...........

A ladder, silly! ;)

She's already got a good saddle for back pain.

For the record my first post was on topic, the second one...

I find that climbing in and of itself is wonderful for my back. If I stopped climbing I would be in a lot more pain. I have two disks that are getting closer and closer to each other.

Same here, lots of back problems on the ground since I took a spill out of a noble fir 20 years ago, but none whatsoever when climbing.

Get someone who knows what they are doing ( chiropractor, physical therapist etc.) to set you up with a set of exercises for your back problem ( they have to be for YOUR problem, not generic back exercises) and do them.
Make strengtening your back a prime priority. Too many people start out faithfully doing the exercises, but after a while they sort of forget.
Stay with it.

PT is working for me right now.....no pain meds in 5days. SI joint is my main culprit. 6 different isometric exercises......somewhat yoga like

I have some degeneration in my lower back too......20yrs of climbing and age = normal.

. 6 different isometric exercises......somewhat yoga like
I have some degeneration in my lower back too......20yrs of climbing and age = normal.
Yoga works. I've been averaging 5-6 hours a day in the saddle lately and feel Great!
Biv, I'll see your 20 and raise you 20, and age 59, but no lumbar issues--it's good to be abnormal! :D Or just lucky so far...

hmm, does ascension cause you pain, or what, exactly?

I have a herniated disc, and some degradation of a couple more lumbar verts.
The only time climbing hurts is when i have to push off 150 pound + rounds and the real leany, reachy moves pruning. Even then it only aches when I get on the ground. My saddles make my back feel much better when I'm wearing them.

Core strength exercises are key, Stretching, and a good proper mattress for sleeping are also critical. Otherwise just gotta deal with some level of discomfort always. Vicodin, and good bourbon help a bunch when it gets real bad.:evil:

You know Shari, much as I hate to say it since I think he's a prick, but Lazarus on the Buzz might be a good person to consult.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
WELL FROGGY - where have you been - I have one of his harness and I will say I LOVE IT much better then the butterfly with the Rainbow stitching. AND I got out and climbed last night you all are right, I did not hurt and I made a quick climb to the top to talk to my Sister.

it was as great climb.

blinky you might get mail soon - maybe no - got a question for ya

Yoga works. I've been averaging 5-6 hours a day in the saddle lately and feel Great!
Biv, I'll see your 20 and raise you 20, and age 59, but no lumbar issues--it's good to be abnormal! :D Or just lucky so far...

hmm, does ascension cause you pain, or what, exactly?

you probably have some degeneration...ever had a MRI?

you probably have some degeneration...ever had a MRI?
Yup in 2001 last--and a PET scan too. also spinal x-ray in 2004. no lumbar issues; cervical probs maintained seeing chiro monthly or two...

I like an adult beverage or two in the evening if i had to pop vicodin regularly with alcohol i would be concerned about masking symptoms from a worsening :X issue that could be improved non-chemically.

Try Pantheraba's stick trick--it's great! :)

Back