Non mechanical adjustable bridge

Mesquite

Treehouser
This guy in the video comes up with quite a few ideas that have to do with climbing , this is the most recent one. What do you think of this guy's method? I think I like it and am going to try it when I have time. I am going to use different size and type rope than him for sure.

In his videos he has also come up with a friction hitch, at least he couldnt find if the hitch had be used before and has come up with a bunch of different variants. I haven't tried any of them out yet as I have a list of more main stream friction hitches i have been trying to learn and use and haven't gotten threw the list yet.

I think he climbs for hunting and not for tree work, which would put different stresses on our saddles than his.

It's a little complicated for my taste. If I wanted an adjustable bridge, I'd set it up like a hip prusik with a pulley. It wouldn't be hardwareless, but I don't see that as a useful distinction on a work setup. For his purposes, less hardware means less things to make noise, so good for hunting.

I think I have that cord he's using. I definitely wouldn't trust it as a working bridge. It's good for prusiks that aren't gonna be burning down rope much, but it's light duty, and I don't think it would last with hardware constantly moving on it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, I agree with you, I just thought it was neat and something I had not though of. You right about it not lasting long, all that rope on rope discrimintion can't be good.

I have been leaning towards a petzel micrograb for an adjustable bridge.

This fella was on the treebuzz forum a bit ago talking about his climbing hitch. Mostly Shouted down over there with good reason. Innovation is great but there's aslo reinventing the wheel.

This fella was on the treebuzz forum a bit ago talking about his climbing hitch. Mostly Shouted down over there with good reason. Innovation is great but there's aslo reinventing the wheel.
Was the the JRB guy? Whacky saddle hunters lol.

I don’t see many folks climbing on adjustable bridges. I guess advantages would be: changing your center of gravity and changing hitch distance to/from reach? Is it just as well to have a long fixed bridge and short fixed bridge?

This is the setup I used for a few years to adjust my lanyard, my old foreman and trainer is probably still using it. I put this stuff together just to take a picture, I wouldn’t use a screwlock biner for it. It’s a little tweak to the old becket bend, but the becket bend is only supposed to be used on steel cores. This allows regular rope to be used.

If your bridge is attached with a ring, you could attach a quick link to the ring and set this up.

One hand adjustable, but gotta take weight off it to loosen.

Also worth keeping in mind if you ever need a lanyard adjuster that costs a quick link and a carabiner.

0780707D-8F2B-4EF6-8070-050C86654ED1.jpeg

I don’t see many folks climbing on adjustable bridges. I guess advantages would be: changing your center of gravity and changing hitch distance to/from reach? Is it just as well to have a long fixed bridge and short fixed bridge?

Short bridges bring you close to the spar when chunking down a tree.

Two can be useful, sometimes.

These are easily manually- adjustable.

Two anchor bends clog the rings for lanyard attachment. No lanyard in this case...no trust in the snag for support.
20220217_120529.jpg

One use of the long/short bridge is for footlocking with the bare minimum of gear, like just a rope and a prussik. To give some efficiency in the climb, the prussik is pushed up by the hands high over head, so it needs a long link to the saddle. But for working in the crown, it's easier to keep the prussik in close proximity of the body by shortening the bridge.

Back