This Method for Tying the Alpine Butterfly Has Changed My Life for the Better! Try It Out if You Haven't Already!

I saw someone else do that in a video Tommy. It was done at normal and slow speed, but I still had trouble comprehending it, so I said "Whatever...", and kept doing it the way I did it. Your video has more clarity, and I'll check it out later when I get rope in my hand.

Fwiw I'm done with the AB for treework, it is usually very difficult to untie after loading.

Bowline on a bight ftw

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Tommy_B That method looks familiar and it also looks quite simple with not a lot of twisting produced by the knotting and easy creation of an "as desired" size knot (some things I value). Thanks so much for sharing!

@Patrick A Thanks for your addition as well!

For those unaware, I used to Bioassay, but now I am Knotorious.

Last edited:
I watched some rescue guys do the hand wrap method and it looked complicated. I watched the video @Patrick A posted with a rope in my hand and was a bit floored at how easy that was to tie.

@cory I used to tie an AB for rigging and climbing and as you mentioned, loading it in rigging situations (come along pulls, log lift or log drop) made it difficult to undo so now I only use it in climbing situations.

Like Stephen said, prusiks work really well for rigging, but you kinda have to start with some tension on the line so it's predictable. As long as the prusik has some bite, it'll hold dame near as well as a butterfly. Maybe a tiny bit of slippage when starting the pull, but nothing of consequence.

@Tommy_B That method looks familiar and it also looks quite simple with not a lot of twisting produced by the knotting and easy creation of an "as desired" size knot (some things I value). Thanks so much for sharing!

@Patrick A Thanks for your addition as well!

For those unaware, I used to Bioassay, but now I am Knotorious.
You're welcome! Knowledge shouldn't be hoarded!!

I saw someone else do that in a video Tommy. It was done at normal and slow speed, but I still had trouble comprehending it, so I said "Whatever...", and kept doing it the way I did it. Your video has more clarity, and I'll check it out later when I get rope in my hand.
I watched someone tie it in a video and it blew my mind, couldn't work out how they were doing it😄
Spend a good hour trying to figure it out!
The most important part is to put one hand upside down before you pinch the rope and bring the bottom up(if that makes sense!)

Back