Chainsaw Protection

arborworks1

Treehouser
The chaps are starting to get some wear on them. Some nicks and tears nothing major, just time for some replacements.

I'm leaning towards sip pants. Are they going to be to hot for constant wear during the humid summer months?

You need to sew up those nicks and tears, and they'll last indefinetly.:thumbup:

Dudes used to make fun of me in the logging camps sewing away constantly, my clothes and in particular cutting pants would last five times as long that way.

I use toothfloss to sew with, nice and strong you just need a large needle.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have sewed them several times on each leg. I always wonder if the repairs affect the performance of the chaps in a bad situation.

Actually I'm just giving myself an excuse to look into the SIP pants.

Don't let me stop ya then :D .

I think if it's just the outer layer that you're sewing it wouldn't have any negative effects on saw cut protection might actually provide a little more to tangle the chain in. And actually I've sunk a saw into a nearly new pair of cutting pants before and spent a good deal of time repairing them, I had a donor retired pair though that I robbed some more of that kevlar weave crap or whatever that saw protection stuff actually is and overlapped it and sewed it into the existing stuff. Seemed to workout alright I was confident in the repair although still not wanting to put it to the test.

In threads on this topic from the past every one that had them agreed they where a bit much for warm weather

I have the SIP 5.1 pants. I find them too hot. It would not be so bad if I could whip them off when not needed, but they are pants so your stuck with them for the entire day.
They fit very well. I have never needed any suspenders with them.

I dont wear chaps or those pants in the tree, sorry I guess I am old school

The bottom line for me is, I dont want to sell them. So that says alot about how I judge their usefulness.

Last edited:
I always wore cutting pants in the bush right through the summers up here sweated hard but loved the protection in highleading not just for running a saw but for all aspects a little padding was worth it's weight in gold at times so I suffered through with it. But just like the Stihl or Husky cutting pants nothing to fancy. Now I've been using chaps in residential work, easy to take off, I don't fall down nearly as much in someones backyard as I used to on a steep hillside all day.

I like to wear the chaps for work on the ground, but I don't think they'll help much while climbing. Most chainsaw wounds that happen while climbing are to the arm plus some kickback injuries to the head & shoulders.

Squishey - Apparently the main thing that causes chaps to get worn out is dirt and bar oil. This buildup of grime prevents the long kevlar fibers from getting pulled out by the chain and wound up around the sprocket, allowing the chain to keep spinning and cut you. That's why the reversible kind are supposed to last twice as long. At least that's what the UL (underwriter's laboratory) testers say.

Back