Hearing protection

Raj

TreeHouser
I recently had a spot removed from my ear and it's pretty mangled now. I need to get back to milling but the Doc said I need to wait till it heals to wear ear phones. I tried a google search but came up with nothing. Anyone see extra wide or large hearing protection? Really really good ear plugs?

Don't ear plugs have a higher nrr anyway? I just find then uncomfortable and inconvenient. I've never seen any muffs that were bigger than the usual peltor types.

I got decent plugs from walmart. I wear them mowing the lawn. I don't like plugs much, but better than muffs in the summer. They were $7/3 sets, and made by 3M. They're silicone, with 3 "washers", reusable. Husqvarna muffs are pretty roomy, but I don't know that they're big enough for a mangled ear.

I got decent plugs from walmart. I wear them mowing the lawn. I don't like plugs much, but better than muffs in the summer. They were $7/3 sets, and made by 3M. They're silicone, with 3 "washers", reusable. Husqvarna muffs are pretty roomy, but I don't know that they're big enough for a mangled ear.
Link?

I've been looking for Silencio silicone plugs... best for me.

I'm not seeing them on Walmart's site. I got them last year I think. They're very similar to this, but came in a pack of three...

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/Peltor-3M-10093045980168-Tri-Flange-Earplugs/dp/B075D24BCG/ref=sr_1_141?keywords=3m+ear+plugs&qid=1637342200&sr=8-141

If you're really interested, I might still have the packaging at my house. I gave a set to my my boss for pounding fence posts, and I keep a set in the truck in a snus can. Since there's only one set left, I might have thrown the package out. They came with a tiny pouch to put them in, but it was so small as to be useless.

16373366963922737473193190026204.jpg

I strongly recommend these, regular ones are too fat and hard (if that's not a setup for a gay joke i don't know what is :lol:). These are the best 3m makes, 32 decibel reduction, and comfy enough to wear all day every day. You also want disposable ones for sanitary reasons, you can thank me later.

I don't like the squishy ones cause my fingers are usually filthy, and it then gets transferred to the plug/my ear.

You install them at the beginning of the day, then ignore them. Putting them in and out is how you pack crap all up in there

The ones we use, are made to fit.
They make a mold of your ear canal and copy the plugs after that.
Thet fit so well, that after a minute, you forget all about them.

Slightly pricey at $200, but I sure wish we had come up with the idea 20 years ago, then I might have kept my hewaring intact.

We wear them under muffs, for TOTAL protection.

Let me tell you; when a half deaf old logger wears both plug and muffs..............it is QUIET!!

I (temporarily) lost all hearing In one ear after trying earplugs after a few years of muffs only. something about vibration and noise increasing wax build up. that got jammed Into my ear drum by the plugs.

Very unpleasant and annoying. If it's been a while since you've used plugs I'd highly recommend preemptively Getting an ear flushing kit.

I really like Husqvarna muffs and Spark Plug brand ear plugs. The plugs I can’t hear shit when they are in. They roll up tight and you can get them in deep. Amazing sound deafening.

Slightly pricey at $200, but I sure wish we had come up with the idea 20 years ago, then I might have kept my hewaring intact.

Let me tell you; when a half deaf old logger wears both plug and muffs..............it is QUIET!!

I've considered these.

I double-up plugs and muffs.
I'm someone surprised at the amount of noise saws make, if I'm not running them with hearing pro.

I only recently got into using hearing protection. I first started when I got my 362. 10 minutes of running that, and my ears were ringing. I never wore anything with my poulan. I also noticed how good my ears have held up considering the abuse I've put them through, and I wanted to maintain that, so now I wear hearing protection around anything loud. I really like the muffs on my construction helmet. I can snap them down if something awful pops up, and put them back up when it's gone.

I find wearing muffs over my Hearos plugs isn't much more effective. It can sound annoying actually, because the majority of the sound then comes through my skull, giving it a high pitch, like listening to sounds under water.

Except for the tinnitus! Buzzzz lol

3M taper fit or taperfit2. Once in a ballistic situation I was offered plugs plus muffs, per Stig and Seankroll posts. Plugs stay in all day, pull out one if needing lots of conversation between work. I think taper fit is 36 db while regular are only 33 and earsoft is even less protection. Roadways air conditioners lawnmowers etc all diminish very nicely too. More peaceful. Plugs keep weld spatter away from your eardrums too. Ever heard a hot spec land in ear wax - sizzle!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
After a lot of looking I couldn't come up with a larger ear muff. I used a few good plugs but I do like the physical protection to my ear while it heals. It sucks getting a small twig wacking your ear in the cold. I'm going to give this a try. 20211203_144912.jpg 20211203_150052.jpg 20211203_150249.jpg 20211203_165317.jpg

Back