Carbon Fiber Geckos

Beetles, Mistletoe, Storms and eventually my saw.. Somtimes my saw mostly...:D:D:D:lol::lol::lol:
They are the weed of trees up here and pretty much just fall over on a regular basis. So we take them in stages as we replant other species like ponderosa and such.

I tried on a pair of the Geckos at work.

The short gaffs are ridiculous, I gaffed out at least 3 times.

It felt like the padding/cup/mold bound my shin weird.
I didn't find them comfortable. Next time I want to try the geckos with the long daddy gaffs.
Hoping to like the geckos cause I'm sure to love the CF.

I remember when I first put them on thinking WTF.......after several days in them, I put my old spurs back on, and they were like boat anchors. They are a bit different but worth it IMO. I have the "american" style gaffs on mine. I think I may buy a second set.......hell, one of my climbers was complaining they were too sharp...hahahahhaa. I handed him my old spurs to wear the other day and he said "for real":lol:

I'm pretty familiar with Foothill/Bull/ghost/"digger"/P.sabiana.

I worked in Magalia/Wild Yankee hill/Paradise/Sterling City, Tons of those things,
The absolute goopiest nastiest thing I've come across.

Beetles, is that mainly from the drought?
We have a huge pine pitch canker problem here that is supposed to kill all the pines within ten years.

Replanting ponderosa's? That's cool.

MB..........move the padding around a bit. When I got mine they weren't in the right spot fo' my legs.....

I'm pretty familiar with Foothill/Bull/ghost/"digger"/P.sabiana.

I worked in Magalia/Wild Yankee hill/Paradise/Sterling City, Tons of those things,
The absolute goopiest nastiest thing I've come across.

Beetles, is that mainly from the drought?
We have a huge pine pitch canker problem here that is supposed to kill all the pines within ten years.

Replanting ponderosa's? That's cool.

Butch probably would not want to gum up his new gaffs let alone his gear on these bull pines, Yup goopy as all get out... But their thick bark, many leaders and weight distribution make them a challenge indeed to climb and work. And yes the drought has help our lil friends considerably. Also the mistletoe is deadly to them .. Canker is not as prevalent here. Bull pines are really stringy too which makes them so much fun to cut on (sarcastic).

You get tree spikes with those butch or did you get both pole and tree??

Waiting on pole spikes till you work em out?? Just wondering cause I thought you said you were gonna get some pole spikes too...
I like them better on the thinner bark...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I said I was gonna get some pole gaffs to replace my old Bashlin spurs.

Attachments

• cadallics.jpg
    cadallics.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 116
Had to laugh at our friend Eric's video thread on his board...He tried the regular Geckos....and bashed em..went back to his caddy pads....

I've worn the regulars a couple times....Light they were,. but wasn't sure the feel was all that fabulous, or that much better than my Bucks' or Kleins.... need to try em some more....

I don't spur climb all that much lately, with cowboy Dave on board, the fastest gun in the west.....

east...

and south.....oops, butch....

Had to laugh at our friend Eric's video thread on his board...He tried the regular Geckos....and bashed em..went back to his caddy pads....

I've worn the regulars a couple times....Light they were,. but wasn't sure the feel was all that fabulous, or that much better than my Bucks' or Kleins.... need to try em some more....

I don't spur climb all that much lately, with cowboy Dave on board, the fastest gun in the west.....

east...

and south.....oops, butch....

haha, if i want an opinion on something for climbing, i ask a climber
that vids a joke! :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It DID make me LOL, but not near as much as his demonstration of "hanging" in his saddle! :lol:

Seriously though, like Deva I had a tough time on some borrowed Geckos but I think that was to do with the tiny pole gaffs and also, I am so used to my Kliens, caddies and tree gaffs that any change is going to seem weird for a while.

Man I just don't know ..... I actually love my Kliens with Buc superwraps , and keep a pair of Buc poles around for rare use .... Are these Geks worth the dough ? Is change good ?

Back