Butt tying or....?

Excellent thread, right at the core of what makes the Treehouse so enjoyable.
And learning about weight capacities of your rigging is always a good thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes Jack. I'm working on the video. Craned it out after taking off the top and down to sound wood.

Yes Jack. I'm working on the video. Craned it out after taking off the top and down to sound wood.

Sometimes caution is the better part of valor... The value, both in dollars and intangibles, of any obstacle is huge in determining the best option. You made the right call given the irreplaceable ancient stone arch... If you couldn't be 101% sure on the drop, use the crane...

Someone made a comment about "crazy risks" regarding the large oak top that was thrown 15' over a Jap maple and a small shrub.. I was 100% on clearing the Jap maple.. the shrub was of much lesser value. The big wood right in front of the shrub would have protected it from getting completely smashed, so any damage could have been pruned acceptably for the client, shrub and me. So there was really very little risk on that one.

Speaking about risks or not, what started out as a job with a lot of concern, ended up pretty much just being another crane aided removal, lacking in excitement...... The cut is the usual punch through, then trip it from the outside, that I like for crane picks. The operator had a lot of lift on it.

I put this vid together, sorry kind of chopped up with bad camera angles. If there is a pause function on the camera, i can't figure it out, so lots of stuff has to get cut out or it would be more boring then it already is, then spliced together, so to speak. I aspire to become a good video maker, alas. The good news is that the log is already at the sawmill. Again, thanks for all the kindly input at this thread.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sMWs7x0GsYM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

excellent! job well done. was the priest praying there at the beginning? i really love the sounds of the Japanese language.

What a beautiful setting Jay. Do you live in a wooded region? I was fascinated by how pretty the area was with the snow falling. Seems like a tranquil environment

I like the trip cuts down at an angle because I find that it is easier to release the tree without the saw getting stuck. Easier to match up cuts too. I was pretty hesitant to use the method when the crane operator first showed it to me, thought it was a waste of time. It has become pretty much a habit now, especially when working with him. Observant on the saws, MB, i wondered if someone would pick that up. I stuck an oversize mount bar on a smaller mount saw, made some inserts. Apparently they slipped or something, and the chain went slack. I went to another smaller saw for the release. I like to come prepared. :D

Yes, Chris, lots of woods around. I imagine it was gorgeous a hundred years ago. Mucho development now, unfortunately.

Nice work, Jay! Glad it went well. The vid is fine ... could see all the important stuff. :)

How's it feel having someone else standing at the base of the tree praying? I've said a few prayers in a tree myself -- in certain situations. :D

Awesome, Jay.

Are you going to make something out of the wood?

Can we see a picture of that crane boom stowed, ready to hit the road? That thing is cute!

Good job.
That was nice to watch.
Nice stick of lumber, too.
What will it be used for?

Thanks guys on the vid. Yes, it's the priest of the temple there offering prayers. I like when they have a little ceremony, it feels kind of right, also because often a cup of sake for everyone goes along with it, and it's a nice pepper upper on cold mornings. We run into that pretty regular with old trees, somebody feels obliged to thank the Gods and ask for things to go safely. It can't hurt. :/: Sometimes it's more simplified, some salt and sake gets poured on to get things lined up right, nobody says anything out loud. Temple and shrine trees are pretty highly regarded, they normally won't get cut except for special circumstances.

Apparently the priest is having the log milled into some very thick slabs, dry it a bit that way then possibly have it resawn if he comes up with a specific purpose for the wood. I mentioned a large table is a possibility, but that species of Pine usually has a lot of pitch. With the beetle damage drying it out however, it seemed much less so, just might be useful for something I could make. I can check it out and see how it is drying, maybe bend the priest's ear a bit. The outer grain over the last hundred plus years or so was very tight, nice if something useful could be made with it.

Brendon, I might have a photo of the crane folded up, or can post an example. I'll look for one. Pretty typical here to see them running around in the morning. Mostly construction tasks like timber frame raising, but the four or five companies around usually have an operator skilled with trees. The crane there is an independent owner, and the vast majority of his work is trees, highly unusual.

This may already be in the drying plan but ... FWIW, I have a sculptor friend who does a lot of full log sculptures. His plan for eliminating checks and cracks is to seal the log ends with layers of newspaper glued (Elmer's or hyde) over the ends and let moisture evaporate sloooowly out through the bark for FIVE (5) years before any work. I always thought it was an interesting technique that seems to work.

Except for using a wax emulsion instead of newspapers and glue, that is pretty much standard procedure for ripped logs.

Jack, never heard of the newspaper with the glue, but white or yellow glue is something that I have used myself. With a couple applications you can have a thick coating. I wonder if your friend prefers the glue and paper over the commercially available sealers, or it is more a matter of cost?

As I understand it, he picks the glue type that is compatible with the resinous or oily or watery nature of the sap. He's creating a vapor barrier. Apparently some vapor molecules are often smaller than liquid molecules. The newspaper is simply a readily available substrate to build thin layers of the appropriate glue until an adequate vapor barrier is created.

That's about the extent of my memory of the discussion before I started yawning :D

Back