Blake's Hitch Variation?

• Thread starter Knotahippie
  • Start date
  • Replies 99
  • Views 19K
good pics to prove a point Burnham. IMHO the mini-prussic with micro pulley as a slack tender does not get the recognition it deserves. Old schoolers won't use it and gear heads move on to things like the micro mouse or the hitchclimber.

It is handy for rec climbing but a PITA to re-direct when working. Yeah, you can do it, but doing it 20 times a day while working out weighs the benefits imho.

I agree, for me best use is for the initial ascent into the portion of the tree where you need to work...sort of the same niche as footlocking occupies when that's the best technique, or SRT. I usually just take it off and stash it once I'm up there and moving short distances around the tree.

Very illustrative and helpful pics, Burnham.

I'm going to post a couple of pics of a hitch I have been using that might be helpful to someone wanting to try the new hitches (VT) but is used to the uncluttered feel of a tail-tied tautline or Prussik.

Note that I added a quick link to the tail end of the VT above the pulley.
This allows the hitch to perform in a much more predictable manner.

Dave

Attachments

• 111808 025.jpg
    111808 025.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 111808 024.jpg
    111808 024.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 23
It is handy for rec climbing but a PITA to re-direct when working. Yeah, you can do it, but doing it 20 times a day while working out weighs the benefits imho.

I hear ya. refer to Burnhams second to last post for an explanation;)

I run a setup like Dave and Brian showed when working, but I am real lazy about footlocking so sometimes a long DRT hip thrusting ascent is a good option....for me...in some cases...

i like that with shorter hitch, on an extended bridge(for longer arm pull cycles on ascending). Butch might have to have Tautline more set just right, to slide easily. One of the self tending class does seem to work better with tender IMLHO.

I think the slickest quickly adjustable, self tending system is one that employs an adjustable saddle bridge versus rope bridge....( A saddle with rings and sliding rope bridge is required.)

Anyone climbing on a Petzl Sequoia can install a Ropeman directly to those slick saddle rings that unscrew.

Or you can use a small prussic.

Either will be put on a long bridge (with a stopper knot at the end) Presto, very quick self tending.

A Hitch Climber is needed for this setup, I think. (Love mine)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Very illustrative and helpful pics, Burnham.

I'm going to post a couple of pics of a hitch I have been using that might be helpful to someone wanting to try the new hitches (VT) but is used to the uncluttered feel of a tail-tied tautline or Prussik.

Note that I added a quick link to the tail end of the VT above the pulley.
This allows the hitch to perform in a much more predictable manner.

Dave

Looks simple enough.

I don't have a micro pulley yet but when I get one I'll try that out, looks good.

Beats the hell out of just chokin' up on the rope as I'm walkin' back in.

I think the slickest quickly adjustable, self tending system is one that employs an adjustable saddle bridge versus rope bridge....( A saddle with rings and sliding rope bridge is required.)

Anyone climbing on a Petzl Sequoia can install a Ropeman directly to those slick saddle rings that unscrew.

Or you can use a small prussic.

Either will be put on a long bridge (with a stopper knot at the end) Presto, very quick self tending.

A Hitch Climber is needed for this setup, I think. (Love mine)

got a pic of that set up?

Bump...

This is clearly from the wayback machine...ran across it when I was searching for something else. But wow, did it remind me how far we have come with development of climbing systems in the last 10 plus years...

It's worth a read just to keep our perspective on how it used to be :).

Always a good point, B.

Back in the day my climbing system consisted of 120 feet of rope. Connector was optional. My lanyard always had a snap. With either climbline or lanyard all we had were non-locking steel snaps (Klein). Never knew of anyone ever falling from those snaps accidentally opening. Maybe that was just because we paid more attention to them for that reason.

Always a good point, B.

Back in the day my climbing system consisted of 120 feet of rope. Connector was optional. My lanyard always had a snap. With either climbline or lanyard all we had were non-locking steel snaps (Klein). Never knew of anyone ever falling from those snaps accidentally opening. Maybe that was just because we paid more attention to them for that reason.

I never fell from them opening, but more than once I had a rope run across my "lap" for whatever reason...maybe a groundie was pulling something up to me...and the snap would open as the rope ran. It scared me more than once. I was very glad to see locking snaps and locking biners come along.

My first climbing line was 120 feet of 3-strand manila. Two half-hitches on the center D-ring, leaving about a 20 inch tail to tie my tautline hitch. Later innovations included a non-locking snap and a longer tail with a figure 8 stopper knot on the end. Accessories included a safety lanyard and a 2-foot long handsaw and scabbard with paint pot.

I'm a little surprised at how foreign a split tail seemed not all that long ago. It seemed like a natural to me before I even set my first line. I was familiar with the concept back in the 90s from my whitewater days, but different applications of course. I've never even climbed on a Blakes. I've mentioned before, I tried tying one, but didn't like how it grabbed(or didn't actually). Seemed too fiddly to get right. I'll probably try it again at some point just to say I did it, but I like the split tail better.

You should at least know how to tie it and use it or the tautline. I have found myself, on occasion, to take the tail of my climb line and use it as a second tie in (double crotch) to avoid a big swing on a long limb walk or a positioning aid on large spread crowns.
Should you ever nick your prussik with a hand saw or have a mechanical give you fits, you can always pull up your tail of you line, switch it over to Ddrt with a Blakes to get out the tree. It can be a very handy tool in the kit.

Yea, I agree. I mean I /could/ climb on one. I know how to tie it, so it's just a matter of getting it set right I guess, but I wasn't impressed with my quick attempt. What I like about a prusik loop is it's virtually bombproof. I could hardly imagine how bad you'd have to mangle it to not have it grab at least a little.

When I was fooling with the Blakes, My thought was "Ok, I'll get this set just right, it'll work, but what happens if I get a bit of slack in the system, and it unsets?" Step off expecting to hang, and get the express trip down. Dunno. I guess I just need to give it a really good shot instead of a quickie. It obviously works since it was the standard for years. Maybe it performs better than I imagine.

edit:
Got me interested enough to grab a short of Ascender and give it a shot. Seems to be working ok behind the keyboard. Maybe I just didn't put enough effort into setting it before. I'll definitely try it next time I suit up.

edit2:
I'm actually a little enthused about trying it. Might make a decent hip thrusting system. I hate hip thrusting, but sometimes it's easier than footlocking, and instead of using an extra long prusik, I could just tie one with the tail. Hope it works out...

Last edited:
SOP with UK training, learn to tie a complete system with just your rope, then proceed to all the other stuff....at least that's how it used to be.
We also used to climb using both ends of the same rope, not having a lanyard, that got old real quick, big loop hanging down, introduction of a separate lanyard was like introduction of a split tail, big leap forward in efficiency.

A buddy asked me to come and drop a walnut tree at a new house he bought by the sea.
The house had the end towards the ocean as one big window, but the former owners had for some obscure reasom planted a tree in front of it, completely blocking the view.
He said I could just fell it and cut it up.
When I arrived after a 1 hour drive, I realized there was no way that tree could "Just be felled".
Had to be pieced out and me with no climbing gear.
I had a rope in the truck, so I made a rope saddle and a climbing system out of that and got the job done.
T'wasn't much of a tree, but being able to do it like that sure felt good.

Rope seat can cut deep, always tried to sling diaper pinned w/carabinier to rope if could.
Some pin between belt loop and 'saddle' don't hurt.

Back