Bowline As A Midline Attachable Girth Hitch?

lxskllr

Treehouser
Not sure how to phrase the question. The idea is to tie a bowline using a bight of rope, but not a bowline on a bight. Use a doubled rope, and tie it like a regular bowline, locking as desired, and capturing a weighted standing line. The application I have in mind is a basal tie without using hardware, and without pulling long lengths of rope back and forth. My concern is having only one leg of the line going into the bowline getting pulled. It seems to hold up well sitting my chair tugging on it, but that's not climbing. Opinions?

edit:
This is what I'm talking about(unlocked)...

IMG_20221125_140327636.jpg

Not much option for rescue in that configuration. The other connector free option is to take wraps around the trunk and finish with half hitches and a long tail on a bight. Quick to undo and have built in friction for lowering if need be.

'Three times around will hold the Queen Mary'
That's what I learned for securing a boat line to a bollard.
Worked on the boats, works for my base anchor, and endorsed by Graeme McMahon.

If you choose not to make a readily lowerable system, a butterfly knot above the choking knot is an attachment point for a rescue line.

If your rope is too short to lower from the upper part of the tree, add a butterfly.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You could cut the bowline to make it lowerable. That should get the climber to the ground. It'll trash the rope, but I don't think that's the primary concern in that situation.

See the edit above.

Cutting the rope will leave you without enough length and possibly an express trip to the ground.

people talking about cutting ropes during rescue/high stress scenario makes me nervous. whenever possible, untie.

i sometimes see people doing 2 butterflys in a row, one to anchor the lowering system and one to clip in. than try to tension system and cut in between the two butterflys…gnarly.

Back