Blake's Hitch Variation?

• Thread starter Knotahippie
  • Start date
  • Replies 99
  • Views 19K
Can't say I've ever been a staunch user of the Blake's, but between it and every other variation of friction hitch I've seen, it seems to me that no matter how you wrap a rope around another you end up with some kind of a friction hitch.

spot on....thats what i always tell people when showing them a v.t.....they look confused then i tell them, you cant really tie it wrong, so long as the legs are the right length and it bites, it works...be it a v.t or a variant!

Most to me seem to contain a Coil (4 uninterrupted turns, 3 being a double round turn, 2 a round turn) that will stop ya; then another preceding strategy. The precedent seems to take a brunt share of the loading; but just can't handle all of it. So functions as a slip, and reducer. The Coil seems like it could take the whole load, but be less friendly. So the precedent takes most and sends the reduced loading range to the Coil. This 2 phase construction gives a safety check to each other also.

i think the Coil, without the buffering, could give more unfriendly braking and seizing at full loading ranges and impacts. Mostly in the closed, 2 legged hitches, the precedent is a half hitch type strategy (Distel, Schwab, Knut, TK, Icicle, Sailor's Gripping etc.) . In a VT, the precedent is the gauntlet of braids that seem to give friction bends like a rack. The Blake's, takes it down to 1 leg, and interrupts the bottom 2 turns of the Coil, to reduce the ferocious grip of the Coil down into more friendly ranges IMLHO.

So, i think many things will work; following the sketched principals of this pro-totype. That doesn't mean to try everything, just that many will werk... Which one worx best depends on your style, and the mating materials/ ropes, loading ranges etc.

But I'm not using a hitch. Two handed pulling up the trunk (trimming) until you reach the limb or you need to stop and cut one. THEN I tie the hitch - one handed - capish?

So you don't have a friction hitch tied on your initial ascent, you just tie it when you get to where you need to stop?

That's a bit different than I ever immagined. Hope you don't catch a couple nasty cramps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
But I'm not using a hitch. Two handed pulling up the trunk (trimming) until you reach the limb or you need to stop and cut one. THEN I tie the hitch - one handed - capish?

A rock climber/tree dude/handyman I know uses that method alot.

I use a BRD to descend from some climbs too. To pause, I wrap the rope around my leg a couple times, cut and move down. Lets you work hands free.

Basic rock skills.

Not a method I can endorse...but yeah, tieing your hitch one handed would be a good if that's your style.

I'm not busting your chops over it, Butch...you're a grown man who is competent to make his own choices. But that seems to be cutting a little close to the edge for my tastes.

I am ALWAYS secured by a hitch. From the time my second foot leaves the ground.

Agreeing with Burnham, Im not busting your chops either, but what if you were lit up by bees or wasps while hand over handing up? Or what if a hanger broke loose above and struck you? Seems to me like you would ultimately end up letting go of the rope and falling.

I bet it's alot faster though.:D

ya think?

I can hand over and tend my hitch pretty quickly.

If someone on the ground tends the hitch for me, its no different than being unsecured. Except for being secured that is.

An accident waiting to happen if you ask me, but hey, you didnt, so........

It is not Fail Safe without a hitch.

Kinda does give new meaning to "Coming off without a Hitch" though.

And took the time to isolate your lines.

Secured or not, doesnt the line need to be isolated anyway. And if MB says not, well then thats just another instance he would need to untie and retie his hitch.

It is not Fail Safe.

No doubt it insn't. I was just trying to think of what some of the advantages would be. Bypassing obstacles without having to lanyard in and re-clip was about all I could finger off the top of my head. Heh it's definetly not for me, but to each their own.

Secured or not, doesnt the line need to be isolated anyway. And if MB says not, well then thats just another instance he would need to untie and retie his hitch.

Or just reach above the limb(s) that hand't been isolated as your hand over handing free?

Heh just thinking outside the box here. I did alot of unsafetied maneuvers while I climbed in the bush. Five years no climbline, one lanyard, and a belt. I'd never be not tied in now.

Now if we could just get Butch to change his evil ways.

Some of the best climbers I know do the same thing as MB. Hell one guy would footlock up and then ask for his saddle to be tied on:|:

Any chance we could convince you to use a split tail and a tender pulley Butch??

I'm not liking your method Butch. I don't see anything other than impatience and the increased possibility of fall. I'd like to see you change your method

Back