Basic Knee Ascender (video)

Jack

Treehouser
Basic concept: Rope Wrench, bungee knee ascender, foot ascender, dedicated LOTS.

A knee ascender is the key element in a rope walking system and makes it possible to have both hands free to use on the rope, limbs, stem, whatever.

Dave started a great Knee Ascender Thread with one approach; this is just another approach using all different components:

All the components of the Rope Wrench Rope Walker are listed in the "Description" area of the video:
NOTE: 'TURN-ON' HD TO SEE THE DETAILS.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uy8HwhnHh04" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Now I get it.
Sasically the same set-up as Jerry B's double rope walker.

Thank for posting the video, Jack.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Exactly, Stig, it's a single line version of Jerry's DLRW with some mods. I gave Jerry credit in a post when I first posted a video a while back with my first version of the system.
I think we all stand on the big man's shoulders in many ways. Thanks again Jerry!!! :thumbup:

Yeah, Butch ... that's ONE of my guitars :)

Pink gloves? ... local flee market ... 10 pair @ $6 ... :D

:lol: oops, sorry ... :|:
No, that's Tony Furtado. I got to see him live, standing in the rain, in Oregon. He's one of best guitar players I've ever seen. I'm afraid I don't have enough years left to get that good. :)

Great video, Jack! Yes, thanks to Jerry many of us were introduced to the knee ascender. I was never able to get on with the DdRT rope walker but I love it on SRT.

Dave

Wow Jack, you did a great job on that video. :thumbup:
Did you angle your helmet cam down more than usual to get the good angle on your climbing system?
Very nicely done, good angle, easy to see what's going on. :D
The setup I'm using with my HH is very similar to the setup you have, well done. :thumbup:

Great video, Jack! Yes, thanks to Jerry many of us were introduced to the knee ascender. I was never able to get on with the DdRT rope walker but I love it on SRT.

Dave
I really liked and got a lot of use out of Jerry's DLRW on DdRT. But, when I switched to SRWP (RADS) a knee ascender wouldn't work. Then the RW & HH came out and I tried several components for the knee ascender. I didn't like the NEW Petzl Basic at first. But, it's smaller, lighter, 'rounder' shape works really well as a knee ascender - a bit more 'comfortable' than a Croll. I can recommend giving it a try, Dave ... you might like it.

I wont be watching any more of jacks video until they have an original soundtrack!
DAYUM :\:

Wow Jack, you did a great job on that video. :thumbup:
Did you angle your helmet cam down more than usual to get the good angle on your climbing system?
Very nicely done, good angle, easy to see what's going on. :D
The setup I'm using with my HH is very similar to the setup you have, well done. :thumbup:
Yes, I did angle it down a bit to get the best view of the system.

Thanks guys for the kind interest. :)

Thanks for the tip on the new Basic, Jack. I would love an ascender that was both smaller and lighter but the new Petzls are only rated for up to 11 mm rope. Have you tried running some 1/2" through one? I have decided I really don't like skinny rope for an all around climbing line. I am finding Vortex is better for my use in almost every way.

David

I have run XTC Fire through the new Basic ... and even some 12 strand XTC that I save for pitchy trees. They both ran through the new Basic without notice ... though ... I'm reluctant to recommend it since it is out of spec. But, I did not have any problems with 1/2" through a Basic as a knee ascender. A while back, I did a new vs. old Basic video review (@6:50) where at 6:50, I showed how the 12 strand XTC ran through the new Basic. Still not a recommendation just FYI.

And another nice video! Thanks, Jack. I appreciate your input and also your reluctance to recommend the use of an ascender on out-of-spec sized rope. I, personally, don't view knee ascenders as life support and place them in the same category as a foot ascender. So I may very well give the new Basic a try in that position, if I get the chance.

David

:lol: I know, Nick. People have been after me to make a CD ... I guess I'll have to up my game :\:

Thanks for your support. :)

I threw it together quick and it's a bit long, but I wanted to share my thoughts as I was climbing. :D
Here ya go .....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KKwBfxdg_sI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nicely documented video, Randy. :thumbup:

a few thoughts ...
I tried various 'chest' attachments for the knee ascender bungee: Petzl Secure, neck loop strap, an 'X' chest strap, bungee over the shoulder and a Lanyard-Over-The-Shoulder (LOTS). For me, all of the around the neck methods would cause some choking sometimes during the climb. And, I never liked anything around the neck that might get snagged and be a real problem.

Using an actual positioning lanyard for the LOTS seemed cumbersome and meant the lanyard was not always available. So, I made a very short dedicated LOTS with a snap to advance the HH (or RW, or SJ, or Uni). It would always be a 'part' of the saddle. The knee ascender bungee would have a snap at the top that would clip the bale of the LOTS snap. That way the LOTS snap could be disconnected from the HH and still be held in place by the knee ascender bungee which stays in place, and out-of-the-way, throughout all the in-tree work.

But, we each have to 'roll' our own system ... worked for me. ;)

Just another thing to try. :)

...But, we each have to 'roll' our own system ... :)

Those were some nice tips, Jack.

Nice video, Randy! I like it when people just say it like it is and how it works for them. Our individual climbing styles and body types pretty much guarantee that we will find a need to personalize how we do things and what works for us.

If you ever decide to play around with the low set bungee again try raising the knee ascender a little higher by lengthening it's foot strap. This will allow you a bigger stride and make the knee/Pantin interaction less sensitive. It also helps if you think of the rope as a pole and keep your leg movements a little straighter as if it was.

I'm curious, is your Basic the new style or the old one?

David

Nice video, Randy! I like it when people just say it like it is and how it works for them. Our individual climbing styles and body types pretty much guarantee that we will find a need to personalize how we do things and what works for us.

If you ever decide to play around with the low set bungee again try raising the knee ascender a little higher by lengthening it's foot strap. This will allow you a bigger stride and make the knee/Pantin interaction less sensitive. It also helps if you think of the rope as a pole and keep your leg movements a little straighter as if it was.

David

Dave, I slapped together a knee ascender setup kind of like the one you showed me. As soon as I get it fine tuned and tidy I will try to take some pics and vids. I think I am gonna really like it! Thanks for sharing :)

Thanks Jack. :)
You wouldn't happen to have a good(closeup?)picture of your LOTS strap would you?
I've been trying to work out some way to do exactly what you just said....., and I agree.
The lanyard is bulky/cumbersome/uncomfortable, and I don't like having anything around my neck either. :whine:
I've actually been thinking along the lines of using a strap from an old backpack, it "should" be more comfortable.
But what you're using sounds good, I sure would like to see a picture of it. :D
Thanks again Jack! :thumbupold:

David

David,
that's a great tip! And would you believe that's exactly what I "try" to keep in mind as I'm climbing. ;)
I try to keep my feet "moving up the pole", but with so much "going on" during a climb it's hard for me to concentrate on just that..... :whine:
But I am getting better at it! :D

I'm using the "old style" Basic.

Thanks David.

Randy

Thanks Jack. :)
You wouldn't happen to have a good(closeup?)picture of your LOTS strap would you? ...

Sorry for the delay, Randy, our cable (internet, tv, phone) has been down for a few days. :(

FWIW ... here ya go ... nothing fancy just a few seconds of closeup ...

Remember, what works for me may not work for anyone else. ;)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/C9GRn0Cj37c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back