Basic Knee Ascender (video)

That looks like a really comfortable setup. :thumbup: I see you have the bungee cord through the pear link on your bridge, does that help?
Also, it looked like you had an "ankle strap" on your foot loop, or was I just seeing end of the cord curled around your ankle?
That looks like a great setup, looks like you put some "time and effort" into it.
Thanks Jack, I really appreciate it. :D

OH! I almost forgot! What are you using for bungee cord? :?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There already are some vids by the inventor, Michael Frankhauser, of the HAAS ASCENT SYSTEM {TreeStuff link}:

HAAS Introduction Video
HAAS In Use Video
HAAS Introduction Video

Randy, the bungee is a "Bungee Ball Tie" (pic below). I had been using a 12" from Home Depot. But, recently I found a 15" at a local shop - works better. Also, you can buy small bungee cord, by the foot, at many outdoor shops.

The foot loop does incorporate an integral ankle strap (traditionally called a 'chicken loop'). One snap fastens both the foot & chicken loops. I'll post some pix of it when I can. :)

Screen Shot 2013-07-28 at 9.19.45 PM.png

Ok, Randy, here's a short raw vid of the Foot Loop, Knee Ascender, Bungee, LOTS that I'm currently using.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ELkrghVGuH8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

edit: Oh yeah, the bungee through the center saddle connection helps keep everything out of the way when working.

Would a croll be good for the knee ascender?

SURE ... Dave {DMc} uses a Croll as a knee ascender in a very nice system detailed in his tread, Knee ascender

CHECK IT OUT:

attachment.php

EDIT: I see Dave answered your question while I was off typing & surfing. :thumbup:

I am about to trade my Petzl hand ascender for one. If I get another hand ascender it will be a kong. I am going to make a set up like Dave has and will be using Vortex 1/2 line. Any thoughts? Thanks for the replies;)

Do you have the HAAS yet?

Yep! I ogt mine right after we started talking about it. I made a flat loop out of some 10mm OP Jacket (no core, stitched it myself) it is a super tight 4 wrap prusik on the HAAS. I untied the the tautline and just tied up all the excess... I clipped my eye and eye footloop that I made to that prusik and shortened the stride on it dramatically.

It worked well so I will likely cut off the excess tapered material on the HAAS and stitch it shut. It was too long for my taste by a big margin.

I am about to trade my Petzl hand ascender for one. If I get another hand ascender it will be a kong. I am going to make a set up like Dave has and will be using Vortex 1/2 line. Any thoughts? Thanks for the replies;)

Remove the cam lock on the futura hand ascender. Its a whole new unit then. I made some rough video once but maybe I can improve it.

Yep! I ogt mine right after we started talking about it. I made a flat loop out of some 10mm OP Jacket (no core, stitched it myself) it is a super tight 4 wrap prusik on the HAAS. I untied the the tautline and just tied up all the excess... I clipped my eye and eye footloop that I made to that prusik and shortened the stride on it dramatically.

It worked well so I will likely cut off the excess tapered material on the HAAS and stitch it shut. It was too long for my taste by a big margin.

Nice! That was my problem, is it was way too long for me. I traded mine with Drew for a croll, to make a new knee ascender out of. I like your idea with the HAAS, I thought about different ways to shorten it. Is yours still a bit bulky?

... I am going to make a set up like Dave has and will be using Vortex 1/2 line. Any thoughts? ...

Cool! I think a knee ascender is WAY better than a hand ascender with a foot strap when used on climbing systems like the HH and RW. Understand it will take some fine tuning on not only the position of the knee ascender but the length and strength of the bungee. I have found that more stretch = better and it doesn't take much to advance the Croll.

Vortex is such a pleasure to climb on and allows you to vary your hitch more than would be possible on some of the thinner lines.

David

:lol:
I see you've got one seriously nice piece of "jewelry" there, Kevin! :what:

When can I get one? :onfire::onfire::onfire:

And, to answer your FB question: YES ... I'll put it together! :D

you girls and your jewelry... this is the way I do it...

Nice, Kevin! I have a question for you about your new device. Can the amount or flow of self-tending be controlled? I can climb the same way as you just showed on my Uni and aside from the fact I'm too old for that kind of stuff, I have found that ability to self-tend is like a double-edged sword. It is great for some things and not for others. It is one of the primary reasons that I choose to use the hitch-based Hitch Hiker.

The ability to control just how much a mechanical device self-feeds needs to be addressed.

David

Good point, Dave. :thumbup:

I still want a Rope Runner ... :D

... probably gonna be too expensive ... :(

Actually you will see I have my line weighted with my cabling supplies. I am sure this can be done with the rope wrench. Or HH. The only advantage that the rope runner has is that it doesn't require knowledge of how to tie a hitch. Other than that its the same. I found the uni really difficult to tend in a normal tree climbing manner

Sorry for the derail Jack. I love all the different systems that folks are putting together. All slightly different. It's great!

Although, I'm not sure the disadvantage of low friction tending. It's how I set my rope wrench as well as how I set the HH the few times I climbed on it? Where is a situation where you want friction dragging you down. On my lanyard I would agree. I tie my hitch so it doesn't suck my up. Low friction and low sit back are usually what I strive for.

Sorry for the derail Jack. I love all the different systems that folks are putting together. All slightly different. It's great!

No worries, Kevin. :) Not a derail at all ... just a welcome addition. :thumbup:

I enjoyed your vid (all of them) ... really looking forward to trying the Rope Runner. I'll probably use the same Dedicated LOTS & foot/knee ascenders with it. ;)

edit: I probably won't be doing too much hand-over-hand climbing ... :lol:

Back