Yale Cordage video

Nice video.... As always. And I totally agree with Yale's lines being top of the line. In my career Yale is a relatively new preference. We actually used to use everything but Yale. That changed when Poison Ivy first came out. But I'm wondering if Yale changed their quality, or their marketing, or if I was just making poor decisions back then.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks again

Chris, for the thinner logs I had a 3/4 sling with 5/8 Portland braid. Then a 1 inch sling with 3/4 line for the heavier logs that had to be stopped more suddenly.....both were polydyne.

Eric, for me it'd be Yale first, then Samson perhaps. They've been at it forever and take all aspect very seriously indeed. As for Jamie Goddard, when it comes to work ethic, the guy is machine....he doesn't stop until it's done.

that Carlyle quote is great

Here's another one

“Work keeps at bay three great evils: boredom, vice, and need.”

― Voltaire, Candide

Reg, your videos get better and better, great skill and work, love the vid angles..... just solid work with no fuss :thumbup:

Reg, with your climb line (2nd TIP) just below the block, does it get glazed from rigging rope at all, looks like it gets close, mabey from big chunks?, just wondering.

The thickness of the block looks like it stays just clear of climb rope from vid, or not....just checking

Like your new ride, your F250 is sweet!

Reg, with your climb line (2nd TIP) just below the block, does it get glazed from rigging rope at all, looks like it gets close, mabey from big chunks?, just wondering.

The thickness of the block looks like it stays just clear of climb rope from vid, or not....just checking

Like your new ride, your F250 is sweet!
sometimes theres contact, but it never really gets glazed or burnt. If you use a cows hitch for the sling, as opposed to a say a timber hitch, then there's less chance of contact. As the bulkiness of a cows sits the block a little further out from the stem. Plus it's a stronger knot. If youre setting your climbling below the block, as i did....then you just have to remember to push it down a ways....or the block will squash it.

And thanks for what you said earlier. I'm pleased with how that vid has been received so far. Nearly 3000 views already....and I know yale are happy about that. They buy me dinner, or Jamie does every year at TCIA expo and I've never done a dam thing to repay them, until now. I hope it helps.

That's a 350 by the way. 7.3 IDI. It's old, but works great for me.

Thanks Reg, thats what I wanted to know! good info

opps, typo, meant F350.....glad its workin good for you!

sometimes theres contact, but it never really gets glazed or burnt.....

Reg, you seem to always have a good reason for everything you do and I am sure this is no different. So could you explain why you place your climbing line in that low position. It is not something that I would do in that situation and I am struggling to understand why you feel different.

Reg, you seem to always have a good reason for everything you do and I am sure this is no different. So could you explain why you place your climbing line in that low position. It is not something that I would do in that situation and I am struggling to understand why you feel different.

In the UK, when I started out....that was the standard. Probably it still is. I know in North America you have both lines above the block. I got into that habit for a few years....but seem to have reverted back at some point without realising. Perhaps the thinking in Europe was to eliminate the risk of both lines flipping off the top if the trunk and the climber falling. I've never damaged a line with it below the block, nor would an escape be hindered.... so, I don't really give it much thought to be honest Dave.

Another cool video, always a pleasure watching such a smooth operator. Just to chime in on the above block vs below block positioning of lanyards/ropes- during my training it seems they switched from above to below, saying it was so that the tie in couldn't pop off the top of the stem. The impression the teachers gave was that both were safe, but, it was important for the teachers to be using the up to date syllabus.

Love the vid. Seems like this vid/work/presentation/appeal is next level. Stick cam above chunks was real rock steady! Seems like it would jostle more.
One shot there made me fear for the side of the house for a second. But not real fear just wrapt attention really.
I have a similar job coming up only a lot of lean.

Ha. When I saw that chunk kinda come towards the house a bit I had that same feeling. Not fear but I swear I was cocking my head a bit and reaching out for the rope here at home. Lol.

Ha. When I saw that chunk kinda come towards the house a bit I had that same feeling. Not fear but I swear I was cocking my head a bit and reaching out for the rope here at home. Lol.

I think you and me were on that same rope Squishy, keeping it away from that house lol

I used to do both above until I got shook hard enough to lose one off the top. Since then my wire core goes below.

One above, another below.

I think that has become pretty standard from what I have seen. So much of our risk mitigation is based on things that might happen but in reality may never and how we as individuals deal with these choices. I can't remember having ever taken the time to release a topping cut with a hand saw yet the safety of doing so is obvious. On the other hand, seeing a choked climbing line in close proximity to a running and weigted lowering rope gives me the creeps.

Sorry for the derail, Reg. Back on track, I agree with everyone else that the camera angle you used was super effective. It clearly showed the sequences used, another great video.

Like I said Dave, its not a new thing, for me at least. If youre not used to seeing or doing it, then it probably doesn't look 'correct'. But, to be fair the rigging line is not baring down on the climbline with the full weight of the load.....rather, its just running along side it. If you were using trunk wraps with the rigging line and not a lowering device, then thered be more squashing of the climbing line....but I did that for years too, and never had the rope scorched.

I think I probably lower just like this at times. Might even have a video… Maybe my GRCS vid.
I think I probably just do different combinations based on what seems appropriate at the time.

ah,
it's on the video.

here it is on its own
quote-there-is-a-perennial-nobleness-and-even-sacredness-in-work-be-he-never-so-benighted-and-forgetful-albert-pike-259347.jpg

Back