Yale Cordage video

Just watched it again Reg ( on a decent screen & not my phone this time). I noticed that you place the block house side of the stem. You then dropped the pieces away from the house & the difference in lead angle draws the pieces around the stem, spinning them towards the house. Not an issue when you have height, but nearer the building it creates issues for the groundies running the line.
I am always careful not to line my bock up directly with my lowering device after cutting a line in half with a chunk of beech, but I am also carefull which side I put my block if not felling directly in line with it.
Was this an issue, or was the house further away than it appeared in the vid?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey Pete. The Bollard, block and face cut were all offset from each other....in that order. So, no chance of the log colliding with the line. Hard to tell but the tree was leaning away from the house, so I used that in my favor for work positioning and tipping the logs. They were left hanging directly over the drive, so the only thing the guys had to remember was to lay them out with something underneath so they could undo the knots each tone. And not let the log roll down the hill through someone's house of course. Thanks

That was really cool Reg. I love that shot where the recorder on the camera actually inticates that the piece is all the way cut up. Cool.

That was really cool Reg. I love that shot where the recorder on the camera actually inticates that the piece is all the way cut up. Cool.

Thanks Jed. The vid and edit make it look like something....but the truth is it was easy mate. Straight up pole with slow taper. Just a lot of logs to rig in an afternoon. But if your techniques are well rehearsed there's nothing to it. The same can't be said for a big fat hardwood .

True. I can't stand spread-out trees now. I don't know how poor Rich (Ohio) does it. Or Benn for that mater. PIGS!!

True. I can't stand spread-out trees now. I don't know how poor Rich (Ohio) does it. Or Benn for that mater. PIGS!!

Ive been getting spoiled with the pines, cedar, furs and "Reds" (redwoods) lately, not liking the spread out trees much anymore as well Jed

I can't speak for Benn but I do it just like you guys do. Come up with a plan, maybe change it a time or two,get the job done, and hope I have some decent pics for everyone to view. I think about the heights you guys work at while I'm climbing and say to myself " toughen up, this isn't nothing compared to what they do".

I feel like nothing more than a monkey flinging poo up in the trees I work in after seeing what everyone else does.

For sure. I beat my brains out today taking out a 4'x 85' enormous beech, 2' from house, growing from a flagstone patio. Used a 75' bucket and 55t crane, it still took 10.5 hours. Huge leads low over roof and chimney, stress. ;) You know how a lot of trees are mostly brush or mostly wood, this tree had it all. And a minuscule winter price icing on the cake.

I often watch Bens vids and smile contently....because its him up there and and not me :) Rigging big logs all the time was the norm before moving out here. Tedious.

Check this out Jed. Its an old one.....and youll notice some text overlay that shouldn't be there from other videos I took it off. just ignore it. I think ben might well be in the mix somewhere actually....but its hard to make him out.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BjqJs7YYnMo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hey Pete. The Bollard, block and face cut were all offset from each other....in that order. So, no chance of the log colliding with the line. Hard to tell but the tree was leaning away from the house, so I used that in my favor for work positioning and tipping the logs. They were left hanging directly over the drive, so the only thing the guys had to remember was to lay them out with something underneath so they could undo the knots each tone. And not let the log roll down the hill through someone's house of course. Thanks

Thanks Reg, makes sense now that you were using the block's placement in your favour. I could not read the lean of the stem or steepness of the drive from the vid initially.

For sure. I beat my brains out today taking out a 4'x 85' enormous beech, 2' from house, growing from a flagstone patio. Used a 75' bucket and 55t crane, it still took 10.5 hours. Huge leads low over roof and chimney, stress. ;) You know how a lot of trees are mostly brush or mostly wood, this tree had it all. And a minuscule winter price icing on the cake.
I would've loved to have seen some pics of that brute Cory and how you worked it out but give me a half dozen pine removals instead. Sap and all.

Guys you gotta do what you gotta do, right? Yeh, thanks for the mentions. Theres been SO many jobs that didnt get recorded just because I had to get them done, I can think of 100 bastard pigs at least. At least! Never a crane in sight. Thank god I had you Reg as an inspiration from the start of my career, I dont think I would have made it thus far without! I am very greatful to have met you so early on mate.

But now the Treewisemen is dead, Ill be working more on smaller stuff in Brooklyn, but still hope to get the big ones on Long Island with different firms. The season is just beginning, and I am ready and so are all my tools.

And heres a huge salute to Yale Cordage, best ropes period. Im gonna take the 150' of 5/8ths from the truck hopefully. I trust that rope on ANYTHING!

I hear ya Ray.

It was one of those trees, I was still fried from it the next day. Frequently when my old ass is up in the bucket doing a big tree, I think of doing it by climbing. Um, nah. Not enough gas in this tank. Shit if I'm beat from doing it in the bucket, it'd be ugly climbing.:|:

ah,
it's on the video.

here it is on its own
quote-there-is-a-perennial-nobleness-and-even-sacredness-in-work-be-he-never-so-benighted-and-forgetful-albert-pike-259347.jpg

Oops. Thanks for this post, r0ck1r0ck2, much appreciated. When I initially was reading through this thread, I was doing so on a data limited connection, figuring to actually watch the video at a later time, on a less costly connection.

Thanks for finding the quote and posting it permanently in text form. Much appreciated. It is a great quote.

Tim

P.S. An interesting thing is that it appears the quote from the video is slightly different than the text version, and it was attributed to Thomas Carlyle instead of Albert Pike. Both still great, it is just interesting to me to see how information gets passed on down through time.

Last edited:
I really rate this company, above all other rope manufactures. I made a short video for them from yesterdays job. Use HD setting

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Nv3Mv2bD4vE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reg, really great video! Like everyone else, I love the new camera angle.

What I find fairly astonishing is that not only do you manage to do the work so smoothly, but also find the time to set up all of the camera shots, shoot the video, and then edit it all, all presumably within a few days of doing the job.

Really nice work, all around.

Tim

Reg, that compilation video of you rigging those massive sections down is inspirational. I can feel a rush just watching it. Thanks for posting that! It will help to keep me safer.

Thanks again

Reg, really great video! Like everyone else, I love the new camera angle.

What I find fairly astonishing is that not only do you manage to do the work so smoothly, but also find the time to set up all of the camera shots, shoot the video, and then edit it all, all presumably within a few days of doing the job.

Really nice work, all around.

Tim

Tim, the video and all was pretty easy to set up. I put in a bit more effort than normal because it was a favor for someone else. The truth is it was a straight forward, low risk job that looks cool on video. My biggest concern was one of the guys getting excited and running one of my chains into the asphalt.

Back