Auto Feed question.

canadianclimber

TreeHouser
Hey,

Would like to know if I disconnect my auto feed monitor will the chipper still operate normal? I just want to unplug it at the monitor. It has never really ran that well, and has been acting up a lot lately. A few weeks ago some condensation appeared in the screen and rarely reads a proper number. Its on a 2005 morbark.

Thanks for any input.

Same here... Runs fine w / out ...I think I just removed the in line fuse ahead of the the toggle switch....bye bye auto feed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Interesting. I may try that. I am not real mechanically inclined, so bare with me. Basically find the first fuse that is along the wires from the auto feed controller and pull it out?

Yep , once pulled the switch position doesn't matter...no Auto feed , manually work the feed bar to keep motor from bogging / stalling.

I don't know about a Morbark....but...I just bought a used Vermeer BC935. It came without the auto-feed working...I read up some and in an old post at Arborsite, I think, it was mentioned the control module was $240. When I had the chipper checked out by Vermeer before I bought it I mentioned the $240 price...they just laughed...it's now about $5-600 they said.

Mine works fine without autofeed...we just monitor RPM's like Altimissus said...big stuff we feather the feed bar to prevent stalling.

400-600 is the prices I've found. That's Yankee dollars too. I used to be able to turn the auto feed off and just do it manually as you guys are saying. Lately the monitor won't even let me turn it off. I will disconnect it the next time it acts up. Thanks for the input

I have never used feed rollers until now...my only experience was chuck and ducks...warp speed limb suction into the chipper.

Feed rollers alone are awesome to me...autofeed is just a word to me.

Hydraulic feed , that's the wheels ....Auto feed runs off the tach on motor , when revs drop it stops hydraulics until revs recover , then restarts feeding

How long with you own that chipper? How will that affect production costs. Will you ever have to go back to a job another day because you couldn't finish in one day by 20 minutes?

Might be worth fixing. When you sell it, you will sell it much more easily in full working order, and being able to say you maintain things as they need it, not maintain things so you can get by.

Though my Autofeed is broken... I am quite sure moisture into the electronics is the culprit. Prob a four hundred Sheckel fix ...

Gary, check with Kurt from that other TH thread listed. He is the developer of Autofeed as I understand it, sells the most robust and durable unit, it can be a replacement for any low cost foreign unit which came on machine, his knowlege alone is worth the $, and I think they are about $400.

Thanks, Merle, for that lead on the AutoFeed Plus thread. Just read it and will keep it in mind if I want to add AutoFeed. I found two on ebay for about $400...new with 5 year warranty. Good info.....thanks.

Auto feed which is called "no stress" in France or "stress control" in the UK is the mutts nuts, put the piece in, walk away. Stops lazy ground workers from spending the day at the chipper swinging the lead.

Something I am considering for the Vermeer I bought.. About fed it whole dead oaks today... The auto feed would have probably been nicer on the machine :lol:

Gary, those are almost certainly the units listed by Kurt on ebay. If a person is ever on the fence about value of buying from him just ask him about longevity of part in service as compared to x.

Glad Steve Mack posted that link so handy.

Don't get me wrong, I like the auto-feed option. Just need to keep the chipper operating till I can get a new controller. I would like to get the real auto feed controller and not the knock off that is currently on it. For me with the exchange and shipping it's probably 800.00 Canadian. Not much but I have a few other priority repairs to do on the truck.

Back