Pine Beetle News.

What North America does in regard to reducing CO2 emissions matters naught if China, India, and the many countries in Africa and South America continue to conduct business as they are. It's all mostly feelgood BS.

I agree wholeheartedly with that Dave. The fellow who invented the GAIA theory has written a new book 40 years later titled, the vanishing face of GAIA a final warning. I beleive as the author(whose name eludes me right now:|:) that we are beyond forked. Move north or move to elevation cause after the next 100yrs it's not going to be about getting the latest greatest escalade it's gonna be about survival.

My personal long-term plan is to sell and retire up north(I mean NORTH!) and build a self-sufficient, fortified homestead to pass onto my daughter/grandchildren. That I beleive is going to be alot more useful in the future then a fatass bank account.

What North America does in regard to reducing CO2 emissions matters naught if China, India, and the many countries in Africa and South America continue to conduct business as they are. It's all mostly feelgood BS.

Amen-Brother.jpg

Tree's sequestor (spell check) Co2 and it is not released unless it is decaying or set on fire. Anyway, more tree's is my vote.
Jeff

My personal long-term plan is to sell and retire up north(I mean NORTH!) and build a self-sufficient, fortified homestead to pass onto my daughter/grandchildren. That I believe is going to be a lot more useful in the future then a fat ass bank account.

just remember about finding a place with a decent growing season eh, cant live too long without a few vegetables.

In the valley I live in, the entire valley has more tree than has ever been seen in the last 100-200 years.
People seem to not realize that.

Environments change, forests grow (by human intervention or other causes) and forests decline.

I wont wail and cry over it. Cycles are cyles.

It makes me laugh when I hear folks saying 'Global warming' during a hot or cold summer or winter. I think it is rather short sighted and maybe even stupid to compare earth's environmental changes to our own life cycles.

Any change that comes will be on the order of hundreds of years, way beyond anything that we can see in our short human lives.
A mayfly lives 24 hours. We humans think that is a short life.
Earth's cycles make our human lives even shorter than a mayfly's life.

Frans the funny thing is that view point is actually the one that's short sighted.

Check this guy out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Lovelock

And before all of you 'don't change nothing' people start crying about environmentalists out for personal gain. Check this guy out, and honestly reply if you think he's out to deceive the world to make money. His predictions have grown more and more dire.

Check out this link.

http://chattahbox.com/us/2009/08/08/global-warming-causing-alarming-glacier-meltdown/

I don't know or care who's reporting it. They're reporting the findings of the US Geological Survey. I'm sure another group of scientists just trying to get rich by deceiving us.:roll:

My point was Frans global warming is happening whether it be a cycle of the planet or our voracious appetite for fossil fuels, or a bit of both. Doesn't really matter. Look to the next 100yrs to be very interesting.

Looking to your one little state in the world and saying 'it's greener then it's ever been' is akin to an ostrich with his head in the sand. Look at deforestation/green on a global scale.

I was hiking in the Chattahoochee forest yesterday and from the views that we had of the many ridges there are circles of dead pines, you can see the hardwoods, shorter in growth ansd the indents in the forests.

Frans the funny thing is that view point is actually the one that's short sighted.

My point was Frans global warming is happening whether it be a cycle of the planet or our voracious appetite for fossil fuels, or a bit of both. Doesn't really matter. Look to the next 100yrs to be very interesting.

Looking to your one little state in the world and saying 'it's greener then it's ever been' is akin to an ostrich with his head in the sand. Look at deforestation/green on a global scale.

What I said:

It makes me laugh when I hear folks saying 'Global warming' during a hot or cold summer or winter. I think it is rather short sighted and maybe even stupid to compare earth's environmental changes to our own life cycles.

I know this sounds harsh, but I truly think it is kinda stupid to say I was talking about 100 year cycles.

I clearly said, and I will repeat it again because you obviously had your brain turned off when you read what I wrote:

Does what I said have ANY correlation to global warming? No.

I think it is very sad that most people today don't actually take in what is said. Instead skimming over something and looking for 'key' words and phrases and going with that.

The end result of doing that is similar to hearing chickens squawk. Means nothing, just noise.

sorry if all sounds harsh, it is true tho.

Whatever man. I guess then just interjecting random thoughts into threads, totally not based on or at all understanding what is being discussed is smart in your opinion.

It's not stupid to discuss the climate change of the planet within our own lifetimes when it's changing within our lifetimes.

Did you read any of the links I provided or just respond without thinking/learning anything?

I think it is very sad that most people today don't actually take in what is said. Instead skimming over something and looking for 'key' words and phrases and going with that.

The end result of doing that is similar to hearing chickens squawk. Means nothing, just noise.

sorry if all sounds harsh, it is true tho.

This is exactly what you just did in responding to my post. Or maybe you just couldn't understand what I had typed. Either way same result.

In the valley I live in, the entire valley has more tree than has ever been seen in the last 100-200 years.
People seem to not realize that.

Environments change, forests grow (by human intervention or other causes) and forests decline.

I wont wail and cry over it. Cycles are cyles.

Any change that comes will be on the order of hundreds of years, way beyond anything that we can see in our short human lives.
A mayfly lives 24 hours. We humans think that is a short life.
Earth's cycles make our human lives even shorter than a mayfly's life.

Your post here Frans.

The first part? Why bother mentioning it?

The second part, about cycles being cycles is what I was referring to as being shortsighted. We are entering a period of rapid change. Rapid change is when things get harsh for survival. You're right there have been plenty of cycles in the past.........That completely wiped out many different species. Ignoring these cycles isn't prudent.

The third part where you get your chuckles from, I don't think of the earths cycles in lifetimes. I can make an observation on the trend for the time I've been alive certainly. And I can study data/history to look at larger trends. Either way it's just different ways of observing a problem or potential problem.

And your last part. One of the links I provided if you had cared to check it out provides a bio on a man who some consider to be one of the smartest and most forward thinking global climate scientists to live. His predictions for the next 100years include a great deal of change. This is coming from a man who has dedicated his life to studying the earth and how it all works together, someone far more educated about it then you or I ever will be. I turn to scientists like that to learn from their lifetime of experience rather then just making up my own ideas based on nothing.

If you care not to learn about something at all Frans and just stick to your own ideas that come from?????? Then why even bother trying to discuss it? I get into these types of 'conversations' to try and learn a little along the way. I'm open to that, if you've got it all figured out already then please express your views with something other to back them up then just your opinion.

I will leave it to you Willie. Possibly Frans could bring it back for you when he's done with me.:D

This is a excerpt from the carbon dioxide page on wikipedia. It's kind of hard for me to believe that a 5% addition by humans would make much difference.

Carbon dioxide is released to the atmosphere by a variety of natural sources, and over 95% of total CO2 emissions would occur even if humans were not present on Earth. For example, the natural decay of organic material in forests and grasslands, such as dead trees, results in the release of about 220 gigatonnes of carbon dioxide every year

Steve check out the 'origins' part of this wiki page on CO2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_dioxide_in_the_Earth's_atmosphere

It would seem to be in conflict with the page that you quoted. Not suprising that climate change info might be in conflict with one another.

Although I've maintained, that whether it's man caused or not is really secondary. What can or what are we going to do about it? That's the more intereseting question.

The fellow who I provided the link to earlier Jame's Lovelock. Beleives that the humans aren't helping things but that it's just making a bad situation slightly worse as the planet was heading in the direction it is already. He beleives efforts on reduction/change are wasted and that we should be looking more to the long term survival of our race.

Again obviously I don't know the answers, but I do enjoy discussing it. And if someone wants to basically laugh in my face and call me stupid for discussing something, they'll get it right back.8)

ive been noticing decline of many species of trees along the hwy and bay, where all our main diesel polution is
that side of the trees is always burnt , and stressed looking if not dead altogether, no its not the salt either, i feel our trees are feeling the effects of the toxic crap all of us live in and breathe in daily
they show it in their foliage
we get cancer
and the circle continues

This is a excerpt from the carbon dioxide page on wikipedia. It's kind of hard for me to believe that a 5% addition by humans would make much difference.

Carbon dioxide is released to the atmosphere by a variety of natural sources, and over 95% of total CO2 emissions would occur even if humans were not present on Earth. For example, the natural decay of organic material in forests and grasslands, such as dead trees, results in the release of about 220 gigatonnes of carbon dioxide every year

Steve, I think this is something you would be interested in because you are closely connected to the ag industry. It may not be our production of CO2 that disrupts our planet but industry methods that disrupt the natural balancing that would normally occur that would control this.

There is a variety of mycorrhizae genera Glomus. An organic "glue" composed of 30 to 40% carbon representing "up to 40% of the carbon in the soil. Since the earth's soils contain about 1.74 trillion tons of carbon, a 40% contribution of soil carbon by mycorrhizal fungi equals 696 billion tons--more than all of the planet's total carbon terrestrial vegetation (672 billion tons)." "When CO2 reached 670 arts per million (ppm)-- the level it is predicted to be by the mid to late 21st century--mycorrhizal fungal filaments grew three times as long and produced five times as much glomalin as in a control environment with today's ambient CO2 level of 370 ppm." Quoted from "Soil Life and Carbon--How Tree Care Can Help Combat Global Warming" by Mike Amaranthus, Ph.D.

Almost everything we do within the forestry/ag industry disrupts glomulin activity, such as tillage, use of pesticide and herbicides. Think of the millions upon millions of acres world wide that have been disrupted and you have an idea how we can influence the cleansing ability of our planet.

Dave

The fellow who I provided the link to earlier Jame's Lovelock. Beleives that the humans aren't helping things but that it's just making a bad situation slightly worse as the planet was heading in the direction it is already. He beleives efforts on reduction/change are wasted and that we should be looking more to the long term survival of our race.

Thats the most intelligent thing i've seen in this whole thread I beleive :drink:

Yeow, thanks for the replies Squish.

I will endeavor to comply.

Perhaps global warming is hastened by the space shuttle blowing holes through the ozone layer?

Back