August Hunicke Videos

Latest boring video, made simply because I haven't made one in a while.

You mean, like, 3 weeks ?

August, give yourself a break, you have nothing to prove. And it's not your duty to put videos out.

Id personally much rather hear of progress on your speedline kit. For anyone who's interested, I got to look at August SL kit just recently, and it's really good. Not just some thrown together shit. Rather, its well thought out and built to last. Hope to see it on the market on 2016. BTW, the vid wouldn't play properly on the android phone, don't know why !

Thanks Reg, yeah the kit appears on schedule for this month. We'll see.
As far as videos go. I have sort of a biological creativity clock. I have to write something or draw something or play music or edit video or something fairly regularly. It's a hunger to create things. My dad is the same way. He puts all his energy into making longbows.

The YouTube tree guys.… Most of them will have something in common artistically speaking. What is it that makes someone always carry a camera with them? Jer does it, always has.
I always have, since I was in my teens.
The YouTube video crowd I have grown to know, seem to all be artistic and contributive in similar ways. And, even the guys without lots of camera activity are hanging out in places like this.
I don't know?. Social animals some say...

I'll contradict the great Mr. Coates here a bit August, and say... forget the break, keep working your tail off because the end result is beautiful and profitable at the same time. To me, there is nothing pedestrian or boring about that vid. I love the way the go pro vibrates when the saw-chain chews. I love the way you just shake that lead a bit, because you're pretty sure of exactly how much wood you've cut up. And to me: the common, "pedestrian" stuff about what lunch one is eating, etc. is just cool and inclusive, rather than proud and private.

I took two pictures of FIR LIMBS THAT I WAS PRUNING today, and actually took the trouble to download them and post them. I have no idea why. Nothing will ever come of it. No one will ever (why would they?) take the time to say, "Wow, Jed those are cool limbs that you pruned." Or else... worse... some charitable soul actually WILL feal burdoned to the extent that the poor guy musters a, "Cool Fir, Jed."

God knows why we do this. It's my belief that the average tree guy suffers a peculiar type of loneliness, feeling himself unable to impart any of the beauty that he glutonously gorges on all day; or, more likely, Walker Percy has hit the nail on the head, with his book, "Lost in the Cosmos."

Speaking of creativity!! Man o man Jed, your explanation in writing is a creative masterpiece!
LOL at the anticipation of a begrudged attaboy!
And "peculiar type of loneliness" based on the inability to express the intricacy and intrigue what we get used to, is something I have pondered a lot. Talked about it on video (Bad Trees 3) and am currently working on a vid for that subject.
Very good word craft you have Jed.

I appreciate the speedline kit thoughts a lot there Reg. It's the best kit I've used for sure.
New Tribe will make the first 11 kits. After that they will just supply the cases and molly's and Edelrid is going to supply the captive eye quick draw slings. I slightly changed the sling design. I'll explain later and show a picture.

I enjoyed the vid August, good to see that everyone has the same chat at the end of the job with the client

"Well that's the danger sorted"
"Yes, thank you, here's the cheque"
"No thank you"
"No thank you"
Embarrassing silence/handshake.
"Well bye then"
"Yeah bye"
I enjoy the mundane as much as the epic.

The art stuff/angle goes over my head...

Whatever, man. If your work hasn't arisen to the level of art, no one's has. This is why we all stay glued to our PC's with a beer in hand whenever you two guys have put anything up. The skillset that you guys routinely display renders even the most pedestrian truck-cab commentary really interesting, and I believe, is a very generous way of including the treework public into your heads a bit.

Mick: Now THAT was a good poem. Great shots of the pollard tree btw. Looked like a ton of work.

Speaking of creativity!! Man o man Jed, your explanation in writing is a creative masterpiece!
LOL at the anticipation of a begrudged attaboy!
And "peculiar type of loneliness" based on the inability to express the intricacy and intrigue what we get used to, is something I have pondered a lot. Talked about it on video (Bad Trees 3) and am currently working on a vid for that subject.
Very good word craft you have Jed.

As a life time student of the English language ( I'm putting y'all on here, I didn't start till I was about 18 years old) I must say that I am constantly amazed at the level of writing, here.

To be blunt; for a bunch of dumb tree workers, you all sure are very well written.

A pleasure to read, most times.

I've felt/noticed the same! ^^^ didn't want to say, good job for tree guys. But I was thinking it LOL.

I agree on the bit about not being able to relate to pretty much anyone else about that we do. Most times when I talk to someone about my work or a particular tree I worked on or have coming up, they either glaze over because they have no idea what I'm talking about or they listen intently and nod and act interested, but they still don't get it. It takes tree guys to understand tree guys.

"Working with trees must be fun."

"Ya, I employ a lot of skills and put on a bunch of safety gear to help prevent life-altering or ending injuries, then add a bunch of very sharp saw and gear weight, and focus on not wrecking important people and costly things, while being focused on not falling to my death, while making a profit. Ya, fun."

Well it isn't usually boring. As my climber says, 'If I'm not doing something that endangers my life, I fall asleep'.

Why don't you do some jobs in the cool of the winter.

That was the plan, but the reality of it is I don't want to do treework on my days off. Plus, I just can't afford any type of injury in my old age. I'm torn up enough already.

Back