Dandandatreeman videos.

That'll work cleaning up the butt, but sometimes you(or at least I do) need to remake the bevel.

There are tricks to mostly avoid that.

Stubby wedges are sometimes useful, when you need more lift in a shallow back-end, particularly with a centered hinge (50/50 or deeper, rather than about .33/.66).

Cutting up half of you back cut (one side) and serving, then cutting up the other side and wedgingng (sometimes called 1/4 cutting) can help.

If the tree doesn't want to move, you can "tickle the hinge", gutting the hinge somewhat, through the face cut.

If you are smelling plastic, plastic is going into your body.
Penny wise, pound foolish.

I don't get many fumes. I grind outside using a handcranked grinder. I get more toxins from the average day at work than I would from several years of grinding wedges.

hand cranked grinder? Ya mean like a real old foot pedal ones? I love those. Grampa had one, I turn that thing for what seemed like hours :|:

I have a foot treadle grinder also, but I haven't used that in awhile. What I usually do is drive a splitting wedge into my fallen oak, then clamp the grinder to that for use. I have an electric bench grinder in the basement, but I don't like using it. For one, I don't like being in the basement, and second, things can get out of hand quick with a electric grinder, especially when used for steel. I like the slowness of the hand grinder. It's faster than using a hand stone, but doesn't go so fast that mistakes happen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
@gf beranek thank you so much sir. They are trying to make me get fat now a days...hahaha. I am running two trim crews and a contract climbing crew. I am not ready to hang up my saddle yet though. 🙂.

Jesus Kreist, that vid compelled me to comment.

Ok. Slow, kinda boring start, laying the groundwork for yet another tree job. Typical minutia of a groundie using makeshift tools ("wrong bar for it") and super forgettable August Hunicke-style crew banter.

Then, Whoah!

You hit us up with that radically awesome Inya song combined with the far away drone shot, slowly zooming in to reveal Dan halfway up the gnarly f'g tree. It created a sense of, Ok, first we saw the mundane set-up stuff that is part of most every tree job, but now, Get Ready for the Art.

And then, the slowly rising shot up the tree trunk showing dangling ropes with chit and debris falling as Dan works his way up. It gave a sense of the height and risk involved, and got the viewer primed for action.

That vanilla beginning, followed by the very attention-grabbing context-shots, made for a very intriguing juxtaposition.

At that point I was thinking, holy chit we may have a masterpiece tree vid developing here. And also, that this drone cameraman has a serious talent for cinematography. I was like, did they plan all this out ahead of time?

And then boom. Scratch all that and cut back to just another run of the mill takedown vid. :cry::whine:

The literal scratching sound was probably meant to be kinda funny, but chit, I think you dropped the ball there. You had the makings of a gem but let it go into just another tree vid.

At 3.30, your rope man aint doing you any favors in that dead tree, smh.

Not trying to be negative. Was just disappointed that a vid that seemed to be developing beautifully, turned in an instant to...been there/done that.

Perhaps I'm reading way too much into the vid, but between the music and those 2 early drone shots, I was like, Wow!! This is going to be incredible!

Interesting that those first 2 drone shots appear to be in reverse chronological order, which strengthened the overall flow of that section of the vid.

Last edited:
On the subject of the opening song you chose, the following vid is extremely memorable

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
@cory thanks so much for taking the time to give me some awesome feed back. As you can see I'm trying to get better at editing. I'm sorry I let you down man. I doubt I'll go anywhere with YouTube or video editing, but I try. Thanks again. I appreciate this.

Back