Archaic Set-up

TC3

Headache !
My brother came up with this rig for me from an old saddle I had that was given to me. As a safety expert, it quietly irks him that I free climb. He has learned (through his own training) that steering a person towards better productivity is a method of disguised lecturing on safety... Gawd luv 'im !!! But it kinda worked. He's got me set up with an ultra-basic way of climbing safe.
Thought you'd get a kick out of these photos !
First priority in the spring for me is replacing the screw-gate 'biners... they're confusing.

Those O'l Sling saddles can be very comfy for some folks. They are very easy to get in & out of.

One word of caution. With out the strap that joins the sling to your leg, one can very quickly be wearing that saddle up under your arm pits.
As long as one is aware of this they are a very usable work saddle.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the input, Jeff (& Butch !!!).
My other photos won't upload... p.c. issue.
But I really do find the screw gate 'biners confusing >>> It's really easy to think they're closed when they're actually all the way open. Must remedy that.

I used one of those type saddles when I first started. Mine did have a couple of D-rings on the belt.

So it only has 2 Ds?
Can't really tie in with a climbing line and use a lanyard at the same time. Plus those 2 D's aren't really designed for use with a lanyard, though it can be done.

Not a bad rig for someone a little more, eh... petite, such as yourself.

I agree, ditch the screw-gates.

I used one of those type saddles when I first started.

So it only has 2 Ds?
Can't really tie in with a climbing line and use a lanyard at the same time. Plus those 2 D's aren't really designed for use with a lanyard, though it can be done.

Dang, I didn't notice that! WTH saddle doesn't have side dees? What did you do about that, Frans?

Long ago I climbed on a 2D saddle- and I used a lanyard. A spreader snap betwixt the D's and then lanyarded into the D's- It worked but it is a long way from ideal.
Teresa, If we may ask..Why don't you get a good basic saddle? I am happy to see you use that old 2D in lieu of freeclimbing but a nice lightweight 3D or 4D saddle could be a lot lighter and more comfy and thus more fun to use and that would encourage you to use it always.

looks exactly like my saddle except for lack of side D's.

Why use a biner instead of a snap?

soon as the new Petzls are out you can have my navahoe. way better then that buckle style thingy.

Huh! At first I didn't notice the lack of side Ds.

I was just happy that TC finally got a saddle.

Now that we know that TC is willing to wear a saddle, should we have a Raffle to see who gets to give her one?

No_Bivy went first, I might let go of one of mine...

But who will decide which one she gets?

Long ago I climbed on a 2D saddle- and I used a lanyard. A spreader snap betwixt the D's and then lanyarded into the D's- It worked but it is a long way from ideal.

Thats the one you sent me way back Stumper, wish I still had it I would have sent it to TC if she woulda used it. I agree though if you can find a decent weaver for a decent price, giver. 50 feet of rope, a lanyard, 3 or four biners, a split tail (or not) and you will be climbing mucho safer than freeclimbing.

Nevermind, your PMs are full..

I've got an Master 2 saddle I will never touch again. Used 1 season a couple times a week if that.

Interested, on me.

Brendonv, it looks like from the picture that you have just finished using that saddle as a tow rope? Why is it hooked up to the ball hitch?
:P

Why is it hooked up to the ball hitch?
:P
He must have just finished reading the portion of Jerry's book. Where he states some saddles could be used to pull a truck out of a ditch:lol:

Wish I could help, I just sent a saddle to Ryan a few months back....

other than that all Ive got is my TreeMotion, my Butterfly, and my Newtribe.

A guys gotta have 3 saddles..... no?

Lemme see if i can dig something up. Anything that has 4 ds is better than that thing. Although it sure is alot safer than freeclimbing!!!

Back