Another leaning cottonwood.

rbtree

Climbing Up
Partially uprooted, actually--a perfect fit for the GRCS --and chipper winch. I love hanging trees and cutting them off at the butt. This one was only about 18 inches on the butt and 60 feet tall.... And the Wraptor powered ascender made for an effortless ascent into the ivy covered cottonwood that we used as the rigging point. Two ascents actually, the second to retrieve the rigging block. Having the GRCS means I no longer use a second line to hang the rigging block, which makes it retrievable, saving on gear, and reducing the load on the rigging point to double the load being rigged, as opposed to quadrupling the load when two lines are used.

Watch on youtube, full screen and in HD...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PzVL-VXMtWM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sorry, Butch, it's three minutes times four.......just pause it and have some coffee and a roll.....

Not a bit, Grendel.....

Stump detail, showing the lower cut, faced toward the rigging point to allow the tree to be be stood up, and then the angle cut to get it to drop off the stump.
6E3A9828.jpg

mine sits in the garage for months and months... we just use a skid steer with a low block as a redirect.. put an old porty on the loader's bucket and trees go up and down with the wave a hand...

Nice Rog.!
Hinging in reverse/felling up is good test of theories!
i've always said; the final direction to consider dropping something is up(when other options aren't as good)!
To the redneck/knife to a gunfight/can't be 'ffording no GRCS or loaders/bare bonz side of powering our fixed crane booms:
i've pulled trees up with '2handing' a 3/1 inset inside of 5/1 compression jig into Porty;
also with 1 ton truck/Porty loaded with weight on firm ground pulling a 3/1.
Advise re-direct pulley where GRCS is for that,
otherwise upward pull on rope causes truck to lose traction the further you go forward;
(probably at a real bad time).
This also gives more stabilizing force down trunk, rather than all across..
i always consider placing support line on 'boom' @ higher leverage point than support pulley;
pull back opposite of projected lift ; to support boom!
Auto tended prussiks good for safety except on truck pull.

Nice to see you around, Ken!

Back