Think you've rigged big wood?

After bringing down loads like that you don't need to rush the video tonight. But us cretins will get restless after tomorrow night:|:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Some big rigging there !

What do you use for the dead eye slings for the rigging blocks? They must have been under immense strain

Pete, the butt hitched rigging was rigged with 9/16th DS Composite, double braid, spectra core. Excellent, resistant to any heat glazing. The gin pole rigging sling was a 5/8th 12 strand spectra, which glazes easily, and did.... I don't like how it looks, just past the awesome 12 strand tuck splice that my guys at DanTrawl.com do. I'd guess it wouldn't meet its rated tensile strength now! But, of course, the way the rigging went, that system was only subjected to low shock loads. I plan to submit the video to PS Ropes to see what they think--- I think all us good riggers know that full static HMWPE lines are not to be shock loaded!! And I know there was some. Would have been awesome to have load cells in the system!

Rog, you wouldn't have negative rigged that tree in those sizes hadn't the gin/crane pole not have been there...? I sure wouldnt'. :)

Not a chance, Benn! Heck, imagine the forces created by even a small diameter 17-21 foot log's center of mass falling a minimum of 18-22 feet.....or, hell, calculate it... a 1000 lb lg would generate at least 18000-22000 lb...double that for the rigging point.

Years ago, a good local co, now out of biz, neg rigged a short redwood log using an old sling, which failed, causing the log to fall harmless onto the gravel drive under the tree. No one on the crew knew that spring redwood weighs about 70 lb per cubic foot. I was there the next day and took pics.. I told them the short piece weighed about 2400 lb!

You saw that vid of the guys in nZ rigging that big piece to failure to test right? I'll find a link when I get back if you like.

Look for it, sir... I may have seen it, but what with early onset alzheimerzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......well.....

Have you seen the Drop Test vid from years ago, which Jerry filmed.... GRCS Hobbs shenanigans involving a Volvo dropped into the rigging?

What were you saying, sonny?

RB believe it or not they once grew catalpa in groves for fence posts in this part of the country .They would find some small piece of ground that was hard to farm or something and plant the trees about 6 feet apart .They'd head for the sky,straight as an arrow .Wait until they were maybe 8 inch at the base and cut them .Never ending supply of posts .Those groves are about all gone now along with the fence rows and huge dairy barns .

Quite a story, Al. I'd not think that catalpa would be very rot resistant.

I'm mad at MovieMaker for crashing when I was 95% finished editing a vid down to 9 minutes...and for an old memory card for crashing. There was only one vid on it from yesterday. I had downloaded Thursday's vids, but not formatted the smallish 16 gb card. So, when it filled up, I switched cards and captured the drama of the last log coming over ....

Because of all that, I didn't get to the Sedro Wooley Loggerdays, where the chainsaw carvers are having their Wa State competition championship. Bummer. Might go early tomorrow, but have to be 50 miles south for a kicking party that a skiing bud has every 4th weekend..... right on a small lake, and a cool band plays. Even cooler is that Jerry Miller is playing again. Ranked in the top 75 guitarists by Rand Roll Mag... he was part of the 60's band Moby Grape....He is so chill! Can't wait, and I plan to use one of my three cameras to tape the whole shindig.... I have a shotgun mike that records fairly good sound...not like a pro set up, but good enough, I think.

So, now I'm cooking some more Wild caught Alaska sockeye==my favorite food by far, and about ready to go for take two on the video. Stand by, good friends!!

Awesome, Roger! Great work, and pics. Beautiful!

Thanks, Gerry. I have to get a good vid editor.. Final Cut, Avid. Premiere, which do you recommend, or is there anything cheaper that would be good enough for my needs? It would have to be capable of handling 4K, which I will likely be shooting within a year!

I'm just waiting on a replacement PSU for the DOA one to finish my latest build..... a rocking editing machine it will be!!

You got it, Jack... Two awesome Fat Tire ales into the evening....that's plenty for this health nut... Got the vid being saved, then next is Youtube... and it will debut here and on FB...... Be there or be square..... It's raw, no text, fancy embellishments, or head cams, let alone music...just the 13 hp 3120 making its own music in the last two clips. The vid WILL highlight all the sketchy parts, and the near miss with the log truck.... and a plum kissing dirt......

Finally, the vid. The snafus we had are obvious--look closely for the two which could have ended much worse, one, the GRCS being jerked upward on the first pick, and the log truck shaking when the huge log almost tagged it. Yikes!!!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ogKzEBIeTG8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yurp. But I need some fine young nubile wench ( es) to bed down with. Headed there now, sadly, only with a fantasy.....

Good vid, it's actually nice to see a few little cock ups. Nothing serious of course, it just makes me feel a little better.

Back