Span rigging advice needed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for all the info. I'm still going through it and trying to figure everything out. Lots of different ways to do this it looks like.

Here's a rigging situation similar to what you had to do, and they used another tree as a rigging point to drift the limbs to a suitable landing area. They caught the limbs first, and then just eased off the rigging line while keeping the drift line taut, which will swing the limb to the landing area. This would be very easy to setup from the ground as well.
There's two times the part 1 for the first ISA's vid. Here's the part 2:

Last edited:
That Offya looks very cool. I think it would take more gear and manpower than I would use on the average job. But if it was needed it would come in very handy. Thanks for all the videos finally got around to watching and re watching them. I have been snowed under at work and haven't had much time for anything else lately. All of those ideas have their place. I guess you just have to figure out if it's practical to set up depending on each job. I like knowing how to do something even if I don't use it all the time.

I wonder too, but I'll never bought or even see one. You need a master crew to work with that, not only for the gear itself, but for all the things involved around the job, like organization, logistic, heavy iron... I'm just out off this sort of game.

I can think of maybe 2 jobs it would’ve been helpful for. Otherwise I’d be looking for reasons to set them up and probably waste time.
I’ll look at pics and videos, and admire the build, but I’ll never own one. Like a Lamborghini.

There is a valid argument for the KISS Term in terms of rigging.
My take on it:
It is a matter of education.
frig about with a ‘tricky’ system that no one on the crew understands, profits dive.
With most crews I have encountered, there is ONE person who is the lead climber, everyone else simply follows their lead.
The owner doesn’t want to interrupt the profit stream, so is resistant to change.

cart before the horse??
Tough sell to a highly productive team.

fact is, there are BETTER ways to do this job. FACT.

cart before the horse

I love my grcs but it only gets used 10 or 15 times a year. But it paid for itself its first time out. What were they using on that chainsaw to winch with the grcs in that video about the Offya? I've seen the bit adapters for a drill but rarely would have power to the tree so I've never bought one.

I use my homemade grcs all the time, quicker and easier for the non skilled ground guy to rig than a portawrap. Very handy if you actually have a limb hang up too. I've been playing with the idea of doing another holder for it, with an extra bollard and some cleats for tying off. Maybe even a double one because i have another winch yet lol. I also need to weld up a simple bollard, i just like bollards more. Having said all that i try to do as little rigging as possible, and i use natural crotch a bunch, aka the original rigging ring setup :lol: I have even been known to use the half hitch trick for blocking smaller stuff.

Even played with the idea of using a wheelbarrow wheel as a tensioner, to pin the wraps against the drum, making it a self tailer (as mine aren't self tailing). Don't know if it would work, and i haven't seen any examples of it that way, but i don't see why not. In sailing that's how they teach you to control the load, by using your hand to push against the drum.

Tanaka gas powered drill. I also have a couple big drill bits for vertimulching.
It works well but is a bit slow

Very cool! I’m gonna look around to try to find one of those CMI trolleys, that looks like it’d take anything I could ask of it.

Man, that washer thing is really something.
Never would have though of that in a 100 years.

Last edited:
Back