Advanced Hog Rigging and Removal Techniques

Limbrat

TreeHouser
1536500_10202428759495920_352229949_n.jpg 1483157_10202428759975932_147993261_n.jpg 1501939_10202428744015533_825413294_n.jpg
I shot this hog a couple of days ago and when I got to him, I found out he was a little bigger than I first thought. I've dragged a bunch of hogs out of this patch of swamp, but none this big so the arborist side of my brain kicked in and I got to rigging. I've got a mile (literally) of mule tape, a flat polyester 25k rope like some loop runners are made of and I snaked it all the way out in the swamp to the hog. After tying a running bowline around his neck and half hitching the snout, I pulled a pulley twenty feet up in a pine on a floating false crotch at the edge of the road with the mule tape in it, attached it to my truck and had my son drive slowly down the road. I walked beside the hog while talking to my son on the cell phone, guiding the porker around trees and tussocks with a leash. It was amazingly easy, don't know why I hadn't thought of it before.

That big, must have been an easy shot. Nice on the rigging idea. Any way to figure the age of that animal?

Nice. How many lbs?

There's a good hunting thread here at the House too, check it out.

Edit: How many hogs are down there, like are you overrun or are they just here and there??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Shooting a .270, with 130 grain handloads. Try to shoot the porkers in the ear, no fuss, no muss, no trailing, no ruined meat. There's plenty of hogs in the nasty places here, you earn most of them, but that makes it more rewarding. I don't know of a sure fire way to age hogs but they grow fast and multiply like rabbits. If it weren't for the bears and the coyotes, we would be neck deep in pork chops. I didn't weigh this one but he looked (and felt) like 250+lbs

Bon appetit! I'd be thrilled to shoot a pig like that and fill my freezer. I take it that the Hog is a female, no tusks.

Bon appetit! I'd be thrilled to shoot a pig like that and fill my freezer. I take it that the Hog is a female, no tusks.
WWB your'e pretty observant on the tusks but no it is a boar. The way his tusks lined up, top and bottom were grinding each other off instead of the normal top sharpening bottom scenario.

My bud had a place north of Perry. Greenville, Eridu area. He shot a pig walking across his front yard. Pretty rural front yard.

Another side story about him there. He got a comp settlement for getting his knees smashed between two rear truck bumpers when a drunk plowed into one of them. He bought the property and started building. A local asked him who all his friends hunting in his woods were. He went out and found it was the law, keeping him under surveillance. Thought he might be a drug runner or manufacturer or something. My bud told them come on in and take a look around, this is your one free shot. And after that leave me the hell alone.

Our wild pigs here are considered rather dangerous, and I don't think that they get to be the size of the one in the photo. We don't often hear of anybody getting killed by one, but an apple grower apparently was recently. Fairly elderly guy, his orchard bordering on the woods. Aging hunter population and no natural predators, the pigs and deer are getting more and more abundant. Bears here, the Asian Black, but mostly considered vegetarians. They would probably eat meat, but never hear of them killing for it. Mostly live off the Oaks. Too bad the authorities make it so difficult to get a rifle permit.

Our wild pigs here are considered rather dangerous, and I don't think that they get to be the size of the one in the photo. We don't often hear of anybody getting killed by one, but an apple grower apparently was recently. Fairly elderly guy, his orchard bordering on the woods. Aging hunter population and no natural predators, the pigs and deer are getting more and more abundant. Bears here, the Asian Black, but mostly considered vegetarians. They would probably eat meat, but never hear of them killing for it. Mostly live off the Oaks. Too bad the authorities make it so difficult to get a rifle permit.[/QUOTE

Bears here are like a black plague. Our game commission in it's infinite wisdom has given them complete protection for 25 years and they are out of control with very little fear of man. I can't imagine a more dense population with more really big bears anywhere on the planet. If it weren't for considerable civil disobedience in our area, it probably wouldn't be safe to go outside. I had a really touchy encounter with a sow and three cubs that could've went bad in a hurry when I walked around the corner of a customer's house and startled the coon-sized cubs. If it had been a kid they probably wouldn't have faired quite as well. You don't dare leave a cooler with meat in it outside, or leave any food in your vehicle. I did a removal for a guy and noticed both door handles on the driver's side of his car were gone and looked like they had been torn off. I asked him about it and he said he screwed up and left a honey bun in the car. Bummer!

wow! no bear hunting season to be created soon?

On the other hand you could live here where the most dangerous animal is a hornet.

Then you might start to appreciate your bears more.

wow! no bear hunting season to be created soon?

Not to my knowledge. The Florida game commission seems to be more concerned about pleasing the anti-hunters than managing wildlife. Like gator hunting, it's really a resource that could make them a tremendous amount of money. A nonresident pays over $1,000 for two gator tags. I guess gators aren't as cute as bears. Never heard of a Teddy Gator!

On the other hand you could live here where the most dangerous animal is a hornet.

Then you might start to appreciate your bears more.

Ha, good point. There really is no nothing over there??

Feral pig rigging, dont get much better than that :thumbup:...good eats right there!

It's pretty amazing that some decision makers aren't able to come to rational judgements about wild animal over populations that affect town residents in a strongly negative way. It's understandable that there is concern about critters being slaughtered by hunters in some callous way, but when there are no natural predators anymore and populations are running amok, it simply seems like it is good to get wise about it. With the monkeys, they are a draw for the tourists that of course will feed them, willingly or not so, but the raiding parties that come down out of the mountains cause a lot of damage and disturbance. Aside from crop damage, large growers or small home gardens, in a lot of places you can't have an open window. A baby left in a stroller on the porch, forget it! A large male can easily hover over a first or second grader, and can even be intimidating to adults. Everyone agrees that there is a problem, so either the town fathers are looking forward to a real life planet of the apes here as their legacy, or have a monkey fetish. I kind of suspect the latter.

Hong Kong has a monkey over population problem in some areas as well. Hunting them would never go over well with the public (and noone has guns here anyways), so the parks service has a program to catch, neuter, and release the females as a method of population control.

Ha, good point. There really is no nothing over there??

In Denmark, no!
One poisonous snake, but it is rare and protected.
Most dangerous animal is a deer tick with lyme disease.
Most people who work in the woods have had borrelia a time or two. I had it last year.

We have absolutely nothing to cull the city people, when they wander around the countryside.

Apparently a couple of wolves wandered in from Germany last winter, had everybody and their grandmother freaked out.

We don't have much in the way of natural disasters, no quakes, no tornados etc.

Haven't had a war since 1864 either.

My South African partner says that as a result the Danes are the kind of people who will sit down on a stump when they are lost in the woods, and wait for the government to take care of the situation.

Glad I'm finally getting out of here.:D

Back