ABR Secret weapon video

• Thread starter Widow Shooter
  • Start date
  • Replies 59
  • Views 10K
I was thinking the same, Willie.
Why fart around with setting it in the top of the tree, when you can do it on the ground.
That gives you a bail-out option, too.

And sure, one can make up something similar.
But that thing is just so pretty, green rings and all, I had to own it:)

Setting it on the ground, above the ascender, is the way to go. I've done it a few times, so even on the way up, you just stop, set the secret weapon and transfer your weight, then remove the SRT gear and go.

The beauty of this system lies in the angle of your tie in. I'm sure others have noticed, but with a secret weapon type system, u get the full benefit of a high anchor(depending on where u set your SRT ascent line) without having to go all the way to the top. You only need to go as high as your work, as long as your ascent line is set in a nice, high crotch. If you all would like this better explained, I'll try to get a video up soon. It's kinda hard to describe in words unless you're familiar with this type of system.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
i know what you are trying to say Adrian, the SW TIP allows you to move more freely too, your TIP moves with you to a large degree, instaed of feeling like you are tied to the crotch your F-saver is in; you actually become one with the rope :) kinda zen-like ;)

Haha, it's nice for sure. Also a good rebuttal to those that say the biggest advantage to SRT is the ability to be lowered from the ground anchor in case of emergency. I'm not saying I don't see the advantages of working full time SRT, but I like this system. To be honest, I guess I'm just hard to impress, my regular azz DdRT allows me to get wherever the heck I want, generally. Like I said, the biggest advantage is the safety. The biggest problem comes when you have to work the opposite side of the tree...the changeover can be rather slow.

Cool Vid, cary! Thanks for posting it!

I believe that when first implemented in a tree climbing comp (maybe at internationals?) the user set it at the ground then footlocked up scooting the secret weapon up as they went (srt'ing up a single single line but hooked up the to SRT line with a DRT line as the footlock prusik) then did as Adrian described and was able to start climbing mid tree without having to go all the way up the TIP before working.

Cool stuff.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/n2aRj8dQPRQ" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Say you set it all up on the ground, then ascend halfway up the srt line, and then want to go to work. Is there a way to get the backup knot installed while free hanging, before the changeover from srt ascent gear? If not then you will be momentarily on an un-backed up system, and is that going to be acceptable in a comp? I would happily do it at work, because you set the hitch, and then you dont move away from it until the backup is in place.

I am with Adrian on this one. Thanks Nick. You should make a whole series of knots. I love them and like to learn new ones.

SWEET Nick, looks good, and yeah, it will help on cold days, well like today, it is -22 right now and I'm going climbing ;)

thanks man :)

no you saw right, it is Nick's secret stuff ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76slzLpNDks

did this this morning in -22c...lol, but it shows how i rigged it all on the ground, this allows me to switch over to DdRT at any point in the climb.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/76slzLpNDks" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator:
Frank Chipps invented the system :)

-22 C (or -7 F) huh? How can you show that much skin? I'm nearly all covered up when it gets below 20 F.

We found a neat application for the system today.

Had to remove a large almost horizontal oak branch over a building. The only available tie-in point was above a bunch of small branches and brush making it impossible to remote set a friction saver. Naked crotching would have made too much friction for the low angles of lifeline that the climber had.

So we set a srt line through the crotch. Tied on the secret weapon, with climbline already threaded in and pulled the whole thing aloft, then tied the srt line off.

Presto! A remote set friction saver that doesn't require that one can get a throwline to pass the same way through a bunch of crappy brush twice.

I like it, Stig. Setting clean, isolated lines in conifers is generally a much more challenging thing than in hardwoods...I can see applications :).

I'm digging a Schwabisch friction hitch these days. In some bee line with a three strand lanyard it is working slick.

Back