ABR Ultra SLing

bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
I am just shamelessly selling things:

I am pretty excited about this new sling from ABR! In my mind this is way better than a Whoopie or a Loopie.

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=9044

tsslng.jpg
tsslng.jpg
tsslng.jpg

Have you, or anyone, done a break test while pulling on a splice like that yet? It seems to me that it might pull and load kind of funky.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
We have done a TON of breaks on them as a matter of fact. Actually, the Ultra Sling breaks higher in choked configurations than the listed breaking strength of 3/4" Tenex Tec.

Cool. That's definitely good to know. A smaller version for in tree use or climbing me get be cool. I could see using one of those out of 3/8" for a redi sling.

Isn't that a pretty expensive re-direct, that you have to go back to get. If you are climbing SRT, you can just pull up a bight and tie a bowline on a bite around a solid stem, and for a bodyweight redirect, I"m guessing that's way overkill and overpriced. I often just use a speedline sling and biner, or if it was critical, I"ve got short sections of old climb line/ lanyard that I can use safely in a more critical, life support way.

I like the sling for low brain groundies. I don't work with them, though. They're too expensive.

I would maybe go a for a small one for the base of the tree for using with 1/2 " lines. What do you reckon breaking strength of that type of splice (by extrapolation/ guesstamation) a 3/8" Ultra sling type of thing would be? What percent above the regular breaking strength did you get for the 3/4".

Typically, I use scrap of solid 1/2" rope as a small porty basal sling. It should be stronger than my worn 1/2" rigging. IF I were concerned about breaking either rigging rope or rope sling, its time to upsize. KISS. I hardly ever use a porty, usually BMS BS (but you all have heard that).

Nick, wonder if the BMS BS people would sell through TStuff. Its rescue designed, not tree designed, but so effective for some things (I know, I know, no video-didn't happen).

Im working on the BMS.

I bet we could get a 3/8' over 5k lbs.

Here is a video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PMxjC9PJ0b4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>)

I had to leave work early to pickup a sick kid so........
a7ata4ud.jpg

Took about 20 min. Each pocket is 3.5 inches long. The entire thing is about 4.5 ft long. I'll try it for SRT redirects. Everything you say Sean about using this is true, but I can splice and I like trying things out so I might as well give it a go.

Funny thing is that I used to love to splice but now it's a chore. However I am super cheap so I will do it to save a buck. We buy bulk Tenex from Wesspur when it's in the clearance section and this stuff has been sitting around for at least a year.

I had to leave work early to pickup a sick kid so........
a7ata4ud.jpg

Took about 20 min. Each pocket is 3.5 inches long. The entire thing is about 4.5 ft long. I'll try it for SRT redirects. Everything you say Sean about using this is true, but I can splice and I like trying things out so I might as well give it a go.

Nothing wrong with that. 2 or 3 brummels?

The pattern is very important in our tests, as is equalizing the eyes.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

Correct about 2 (locked brummel) for each "pocket". When making it, I made sure to keep each eye as equal as I can. I pulled a couple apart that didn't look right. It's had to see from the pic because it's coiled but I am pleased with the shape of the eyes.

Next I'll use it once or twice and toss it with all of the other bits o gear that I made and used once.

Back