ABR Secret weapon video

• Thread starter Widow Shooter
  • Start date
  • Replies 59
  • Views 10K
We found a neat application for the system today.

Had to remove a large almost horizontal oak branch over a building. The only available tie-in point was above a bunch of small branches and brush making it impossible to remote set a friction saver. Naked crotching would have made too much friction for the low angles of lifeline that the climber had.

So we set a srt line through the crotch. Tied on the secret weapon, with climbline already threaded in and pulled the whole thing aloft, then tied the srt line off.

Presto! A remote set friction saver that doesn't require that one can get a throwline to pass the same way through a bunch of crappy brush twice.

I must be missing something here, because I can't see any advantage to the secret weapon over any other inline anchor method. You could tie a alpine butterfly midline and put and carabiner through it and climb off that.

Also, if the anchor point is less than ideal strengthwise, I wouldn't want to use a system that doubles the loading on it, especially when working at high rope angles. Much safer to ascend to anchor point, then set friction saver by hand, then go to work, even if it means a few extra metres of ascending. Should be a breeze with srt anyway!

In this particular tree we'd have had to SRt up through a lot of little branches and brush, not my favourite way to go.

As for tying an alpine butterfly to work out of, you are right.

But does an alpine butterfly knot have nice shiny green rings?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
the SW also allows you to stop anywhere and work along the SRT route :)

I have seen the videos here and to me it I couldn't see any advantages. Now it makes sense to me:what: So is anyone still using the SW? I think I want one:D

SW works awesome and is a good way to get around isolating a limb. That would be more my using of it. Set my SRT line and hoist the SW with my Ddrt ready to go. Or set it upon my ascent to the TIP I want. I prefer Ddrt for limb walking and it what works comfortable for me. When I do a tree with a good spread and nice scaffolding... it is what I use. I use more SRT for a single stem or something with a central leader/stem. Or up and down quick limb removal or reduction. Ddrt just feels more balanced for this old tree freak.
The SW would be my balance as I need it, rather than setting a FS and gives me the option of adjusting the TIP whit groundie assistance.

That is how I use it, too.
Set a line where you want it, set the SW and work off of that. Saves a lot of hassle in trees with a lot of twigs and smallish branches that get in the way.

Thanks for the responses guys. CV I also feel more in control with Ddrt even though I am an SRT wannabe! Stig I can see a big advantage when I set my line using the Big Shot and I hit the target but I am also around a lower limb as well and want to go Ddrt. This happen the other day made a beautiful shot in this large, bushy Water Oak I am removing. Then couldn't get the throwline around bottom branch which caused me to loose about 10' of vertical advantage. If that makes sense. Seems like with the SW this issue wouldn't be a issue.

Also, you can pull your SRT ascent/ climbing system into place with a pulley or revolver 'biner that will end up near the redirection point/ TIP. 3:1. Quick and easy.

Also, you can pull your SRT ascent/ climbing system into place with a pulley or revolver 'biner that will end up near the redirection point/ TIP. 3:1. Quick and easy.

I am having one made as soon as I purchase materials. I will post pics when it's done. Thanks for all the feed back!

Back