8.9 magnitude earthquake in Japan!

When he does turn up we are going to have our own man on the ground. I bet he'll have insights into the disaster that aren't covered by the media. I too am staying optimistic about his fate.

I never knew vehicles could float so well.

It looks like every channel's showing the same footage. I've already memorized most of the scenes.

That happened here with the floods and the NZ quake, same stuff over and over.

If I read my map right, I think Jay is further inland NW of Tokyo. I hope he is not too effected and I am reading it right.

Yes, he's well away from it. I can't remember the town, I thought the one a few days ago would have affected him more but he never said anything about it.

Terrible news.:(

I'm ok, thanks. Got some rolling sensation, made me queasy standing outside my shop. Far from the epicenter, though a lot of places even further away sustained damage. This is a huge earthquake, no sooner turned on the radio and reports were soon on about tidal waves coming in all over. The water and debris were plowing through everything, a considerable ways inland. Nobody really knows what is happening yet, the amount of devastation. The death toll is climbing quick and it is just the beginning. The range of damage is unbelievable, from the far north all the way down to Tokyo and the far south. Some big tectonic plate settled, this appears to be a very bad situation.

Again, thanks again for the thoughts. It seems strange going about things normally when so much chaos is going on in other places not so far away. It was already earthquake central here, but this one may have been the largest in recorded history. Tsunami warnings still being broadcast non-stop. Out of control!

good to hear your ok Jay. Hope things return to normal over there as quickly as possible.

I was reading last night before I went to bed how the moon is the closest it will ever be next sat 19th so could cause lots of natural disasters. Wake up this am to see this, just read 88,000 are missing. Biblical is right.

My prayers to the victims and survivors alike. Glad you are OK Jay.

Not good .:( They say though that the intensity is waning as it crosses the Pacific .

With what appears to be earth quakes following a tectonic plates my concern is the west coast of Canada and the US .

The gent that gave me my first 200T lives in Santa Barbara and that's right in the pathway of the big waves .Lawdy they said things could be affected all along the western shore line of North and South America .

Geeze that would be beech if it washed a big aircraft carrier in Long Beach ashore .How in the world would you retrieve that thing ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
cutting torch ;)

So far its non eventful here on the left coast. We are protected by a large island from the open ocean though, might see some ripples along the more southern coast.

Jay, so glad to see you OK. Let us know what you know via this thread. I've been watching this all day.

yeah, it was pretty wicked watching it unfold last night, the local news is still running last nights tapes from the Japan feed that everyone else picked up. Nothing from the local beaches etc, I am wanting to see the Hawaii footage as I have relatives there but from their tweets it seems they had a 6 foot swell that was fairly easily absorbed. Watching Twitter blow up with activity minutes after the quake was fascinating. For us here, I got a text message from the USGS that the quake had happened, about 4 minutes after the fact, I got the wife to change the channel from whatever crap she was watching and go to CNN, wicked footage. Now I am sleep deprived and getting ready for work.

Waves have come ashore here in Oregon, but magnitude is not bad. Less to the north end of the state, more to the south. At about midway, the waves are simulating normal high to low tide fluctuations, but every half hour rather than the normal 12 hours :\:.

Real glad to hear from you, Jay. Best wishes.

Jay, do you need a care package put together and sent your way? Be sure to let us know if essential supplies are going to be difficult to obtain.

You may need things like soap, toilet paper, etc. and not be able to get them.

Post up and I'm sure packages can be sent.

Current reports say 4 cycles of wave and retreat have hit, about 15 minutes apart. They forecast the waves will get bigger until the 8th cycle, then begin to get smaller. Highest wave is forecast to be about 7.5 feet, on the southern OR coast.

Some buildings doing the hokey pokey during the earthquake.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JhJzdtzl6KY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

watching people in Santa Cruz watching pleasure craft float on the rising water after breaking free of their moorings, cant anyone throw a frikkin rope to those boats and tie them up? I just watched one 30 or so foot boat smack into about 7 sailboats that were moored.

Back