21 left in the water

Was that one of those factory fish processing ships?

Dave would be the one to answer, but considering, he may not log on for a bit....:(

I'll put in my best guess, Dave may correct me, but for the size of the ship, and the size of the crew, I'd guess it is a factory boat.

from my first post in this thread, maybe it helps someone ID the vessel's duties?

IMGP1182.JPG.jpg

IMGP1179.JPG.jpg

a good follow up news article naming the deceased and giving further inof regarding the missing individual, sounds like he fell out of the helo rescue basket, hope that wasnt someones error, that would be a huge burden to bear...
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2008/03/24/alaska-fishing-boat.html

My guess is if he fell out of the basket it's because he was in his Gumby suit. Those things are monstrous and filled with water. Often the swimmer will cut the feet out before he sends them up so the water drains out, but even in an unladen survival suit, they often don't fit well in the basket; sometimes even just laying across the top of it, and not so much "in" it. People have fallen out before. I can't imagine how he'd fall out and get lost so quickly right under the helo. But he may have gone under and that was that. Anything can happen up there.

I'd risk calling it a trawler or long liner.

They usually have some kind of processing component to them.

Though I could be wrong to.

Jeff, I hear you, seems to make sense. Article mentioned the helo was running on fumes and couldnt come 'round for an immediate search.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes Frans it was a Catcher/processor. Its a Dragger, no drum, the net was stacked and set Icelandic style. Last of the true savage slave ships. Mediocrity was ruthlessly smashed. I will miss that whore of a boat. Actually my favorite boat I ever worked on. Loved to be working on deck during haulback when it was "sporty" out:D All we ever did on that boat was bust ass, and I know Capt. Eric, Dave and Dan were trying to the end to save the situation. Them fellas did good, they saved most of the crew. Trust me it could have been a lot worse. R.I.P Brothers.

The north seas are unforgiving. Sad to hear...hoping for peace to come to their families as soon as it can, and to you, Dave.

Back